cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
paul_apicella
Level III

transform comma into point

Hi everybody,

I want to import data files containing values with decimals into JMP files in which commas are replaced by points. how can I do this in a simple way during the import process ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: transform comma into point

Try importing the data as character, then using the find/replace to change comma to period, then change the type of the column from character to numeric. Cols->Standardize Attributes will help if you have more than a couple of data type conversions to do. (Testing this, the find/replace will fix up about 1,000,000 values per second. The column character to numeric conversion is much faster than that.)

Craige

View solution in original post

paul_apicella
Level III

OK. I'm gonna take that advice. Thank you for your time.

Paul

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

The import process uses your locale settings from the OS to recognize thousands and decimal separators.

On Windows go to your Control Panel and adjust Region settings to change the decimal to comma. Then import the file, save it and change the Region settings back.

On the Mac to to System Preferences and the Language and Region pane and click on the Advanced button.

-Jeff
paul_apicella
Level III

Hi Jeff,

I'm working with a Mac and I've seen where I can make the modification in the System Preferences (thanks for the information), but the change is not taken into account when I import the txt-file under a JMP-format. There must be an adjustment to be made so that the replacement of commas into points can be effective with JMP ?

Paul

Craige_Hales
Super User

The text import wizard also needs to be told to use the settings; look in the compatibility section

The import wizard uses periods for decimals by defaultThe import wizard uses periods for decimals by default

Craige
paul_apicella
Level III

Thanks for the information,

Unfortunately, I'm using a JMP10.0.2 version and I don't see a "Use Regional settings" option in the text import wizard (same thing with a JMP11 version from a colleague of mine).

Is there another solution?

Craige_Hales
Super User

Try importing the data as character, then using the find/replace to change comma to period, then change the type of the column from character to numeric. Cols->Standardize Attributes will help if you have more than a couple of data type conversions to do. (Testing this, the find/replace will fix up about 1,000,000 values per second. The column character to numeric conversion is much faster than that.)

Craige
paul_apicella
Level III

OK. I'm gonna take that advice. Thank you for your time.

Paul