cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
nathan-clark
Level VI

transfer/share JSL with other code languages

Has anyone developed/found a way to convert/share/"compile" JSL into something usable by other languages?

Here is my problem. As the developer of the initial code in R&D, I want a way to be able to give researchers code/tools that meet their needs and work with there existing analysis structure (JMP). However, some of these tools get merged into larger suites (for operations/QC, etc) where an existing infrastructure is already in place, not based on JMP. How can I share what my JSL tool does without having to recreate all of the code in a new language to be fully validated again. In my head there would be a button “Convert JSL to Python” (or C++, etc) which would do the work. I doubt it’s that simple, but I was hoping there were tools in existence that would help me turn my JSL into something more digestible for other languages.

In many cases the final users aren't JMP users so having JMP on their machines isn't a given (however, if that's the only way to make it work, I want to explore all options).

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: transfer/share JSL with other code languages

I am not aware of any tool to generally translate JSL into another computer language, not even SAS code. Also, many scripts use JMP objects and actions, and so will not run anywhere but within JMP.

JMP Pro will emit code for other languages from the Formula Depot if you have published any JMP models. This scoring code is intended purely for calculations of the prediction for new observations.

txnelson
Super User

JMP does have the ability to be called from other languages, see OLE Automation in the JSL Scripting Guide. However, there is not a distributable runtime version of JMP. The model used by JMP is to link to the individual's installed copy of JMP. Therefore, the users of this method of using JMP still have to have an individual copy of JMP licensed to them.
Jim
nathan-clark
Level VI

Thanks for all the answers so far! The OLE solution may be the best bet, although it's not very ideal ... but then again, I didn't expect a slam dunk answer :)