cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
emeritus
Level III

supress outliers

I am trying to supress outliers in a continuous variable.  In SPSS I used to just declaire a range and recode them as missing values.  I know this should be obvious, but I need some help

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: supress outliers

Still yet another technique from the JMP analysis platform report itself is to invoke a Local Data Filter. The nice aspect of this option is you can make real time changes right within the report itself to examine visually the effects of outlier manipulation.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@emeritus ,
     You can use the hide and select approach. Here try this: 

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" ); // Open a sample data table
// Defining the range which you feel are outliers dt << Select Where (:height < 62);
// Hiding and Excluding them from your analysis (they will remain in the data table, but are not included in your
//analysis dt << Hide and Exclude;
// Clear your selection dt << Clear Select;
// Perform a simple bivariate analysis - notice that the values for height < 62 no longer show up in your plot dt << Bivariate( Y( :weight ), X( :height ), Fit Line );
Best
Uday
emeritus
Level III

Thanks, this looks pretty straight forward.  The tutorial book shows examples of hide and select using the interface but I could not get it to go.  The lasso tools looked fun but I couldn't get it to work.  I think the bottom line here might be that I simply have to learn JMP scripting language.

txnelson
Super User

I would use the Column Property, "Range Check".  It allows you to remove outliers on a column by column basis.

Jim
emeritus
Level III

I actually looked at that but got scared off because I did not totally understand it.  I will give it a shot.

Thanks

P_Bartell
Level VIII

Still yet another technique from the JMP analysis platform report itself is to invoke a Local Data Filter. The nice aspect of this option is you can make real time changes right within the report itself to examine visually the effects of outlier manipulation.

emeritus
Level III

I am not quite there yet but I am aware of this journal function.  Thanks for the tip, this sounds like a really powerful tool.

P_Bartell
Level VIII

JMP Journaling doesn't really have any relationship to JMP local data filters. Journaling is a JMP specific capability for creating and sharing what I like to call a 'lab notebook' for you JMP related work. Journals can come in very handy for sharing your work, keeping a running record of your JMP discoveries and findings. Journals can contain all sorts of information, JMP data, other files, pictures, links to external locations like files and web sites, etc. Journals are very utilitarian in their own rite.