cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jorge_perez
Level I

sub-categorizing columns of data

Hi, 'I am trying to find a way to subdivide the columns into different groups but allowing them to be in multiple gropus at the same time or being able to filter them easily. Lets say I have multiple suppliers for steel and aluminum and i want to be able to analyze only certain suppliers or i want to analysze all the parts made with steel no matter who the supplier is or by process. this would be used for a much much larger number of suppliers and products.

Thanks

supplier 1supplier 2
 steel aluminum steel aluminum 
 die casting stamping die casting stamping die casting stamping die casting stamping 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: sub-categorizing columns of data

You can use a Data Filter, or a Local Data Filter to do the subsetting you are referencing.  And if necessary, you can easily create a new column which is a concatenation of the multiple columns, and then use a Data Filter or a Local Data Filter to subset into whatever combination of selections.

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jorge_perez
Level I

2018-03-05 08_19_19-Book2 - Excel.png

txnelson
Super User

You can use a Data Filter, or a Local Data Filter to do the subsetting you are referencing.  And if necessary, you can easily create a new column which is a concatenation of the multiple columns, and then use a Data Filter or a Local Data Filter to subset into whatever combination of selections.

Jim
jorge_perez
Level I

thanks.