cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Françoise
Level V

spec limits

Hi,

i would like to load spec limits in a data table for several responses.

is it possible to load different spec limits for the same response? ex.: if you have different reciepes inside your data base with the same Y.

best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: spec limits

The power of putting the spec limits into JMP is the automation that it triggers. By assigning spec limits to the columns - which would require one column per recipe using one of the methods mentioned above - you would automatically get the spec and targets plotted as reference lines when the data is used. You would also automatically get Process Capability calculations in Distribution, Control Chart Builder, etc. So you can put your specs in a table as separate columns, but you'll be missing out on a lot of the features JMP provides.

M

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

I don't know of a way to enter more than one set of spec limits as a column property. But, off the top of my head I see two possible workarounds...one is more work than the others:

1. Don't put ANY spec limits into the JMP ecosystem in any way. Not as a column property or in a seperate data table. Then any time you invoke a platform that needs spec limits, JMP will prompt you for the limits and you can enter any limits you like.

2. Create seperate columns containing the same response, but different spec limits as a column property. I might do something like enter the column name with some spec limit identifier as part of the column name. This would help you make sure all the visualizations, statistics, etc. are more explicit which spec limits are actually being used for the analysis.

The best practice here would be to split the Y column (JMP 14 > Tables > Split) by the recipe/data channel.  Then you can use either the Spec Limits Utility (JMP 14 > Analyze > Quality and Process > Manage Spec Limits) or @txnelson's Add-in (link) to bring in your limits.  From there you can use process screening (JMP 14 > Analyze > Screening > Process Screening) to manage all the different Y's you've created.

M

Françoise
Level V

Hi,

thanks for your answers.

since, maybe an another solution:

I create a new table with the specs for the different responses Y, Z,.....(LSL, USL, target for Y/ USL, LSL, target for Z,......)  AND a column for the reciepe.

Then I can join the data base with this new table  by matching with the reciepe.

I use the new base for the capabilies and graphs.

your view?

best regards

The power of putting the spec limits into JMP is the automation that it triggers. By assigning spec limits to the columns - which would require one column per recipe using one of the methods mentioned above - you would automatically get the spec and targets plotted as reference lines when the data is used. You would also automatically get Process Capability calculations in Distribution, Control Chart Builder, etc. So you can put your specs in a table as separate columns, but you'll be missing out on a lot of the features JMP provides.

M