cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
tvkmez11
Level I

solving an integral for pharmacokinetics work

Hi,

Pharmacokinetics: mathematically characterizing how a drug  enters and leaves the body 

In pharmacokinetics experiments the influence of the stomach is ignored in most data analyses, which is not appropriate. Stomach emptying can be described with the equation (in which t=time):

Plateau×(1-e^(-Ks × t))^ß  (Ks=rate, beta =lag phase)

Subsequently, the absorption kinetics of a test component can be described with the equation:

Plateau ×(Ka× (Exp^(-Ke × t)-Exp^(-Ka × t)))/(Ka-Ke)  (Ka=absorption rate, Ke=elimination rate, Plateau is cummulative absorption)

Combining both gives:

Plateau×(1-e^(-Ks × t))^ß * Plateau ×(Ka× (Exp^(-Ke × t)-Exp^(-Ka × t)))/(Ka-Ke)

Does anybody know how to solve such an equation in JMP, or is someone smart enough to integrate them (I am not)? I can only solve it in Excel, but then I don't get statistics.

Happy to include you as a co-author in a publication on the topic if we end with publishable outcomes.

thanks

Theo

4 REPLIES 4
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Re: solving an integral for pharmacokinetics work

There are many sirtes on the internet that will solve derivatives and integrals for you.  See this link for one of my favorites:

http://www.integral-calculator.com/

Steve
tvkmez11
Level I

Hi Steven,

Thanks for pointing this out to me; learning every day. I have tried the link you supplied, and this site can't find an answer, same answer I got from a couple of professors in mathematics.

Theo

tvkmez11
Level I

came across the wolfram site, and this one did yield an integral. Something to try tonight ;)

MRB3855
Super User