cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

"open" in JSL

This is probably laughably simple but I'm brand new to scripting...

I have written a script that manipulates a data table. That all works fine. Right now it just operates on the current data table.

What I would like to have it do is actually import the raw text file as the first step when I run the script. However, I want to be able to select which file I'm importing and I want the script to automatically apply certain arguments to the table. I can just use:

open();

but then I need to select which columns to import, select character types, etc. I would like to have the script do those things automatically each time. So I want to include arguments that are the same each time but don't want the file path/name to be the same each time. Any ideas?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmroz
Super User

Re: "open" in JSL

I think the following may be what you need:

1. Open a file manually. In the dataset see if there's a red triangle with "Source" next to it. Click on the red triangle and select "Edit Script".

2. This should bring up a script window with a giant Open() command. Save this script but make the filename a variable (e.g. import_filename).

3. Use the Pick File() command to find the file you want to import. Set the import_filename variable = to this file.

4. Plug the import_filename variable into your previously saved Open() command from step 2.

Regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pmroz
Super User

I think the following may be what you need:

1. Open a file manually. In the dataset see if there's a red triangle with "Source" next to it. Click on the red triangle and select "Edit Script".

2. This should bring up a script window with a giant Open() command. Save this script but make the filename a variable (e.g. import_filename).

3. Use the Pick File() command to find the file you want to import. Set the import_filename variable = to this file.

4. Plug the import_filename variable into your previously saved Open() command from step 2.

Regards,
Peter

Thanks. I think that's getting me close but I must not be understanding something. Here's basically what the beginning of my script looks like:

import_filename=pick file("select file","D:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\Projects\");

dt=Open(
"import_filename",
columns(
col1= Character,
col2 = Character,
col3 = Character,
. = Omit,
),
);

Do you see what I'm doing wrong?
pmroz
Super User

Remove the double quotes around "import_filename". It's a variable and you're giving it a literal string.

dt=Open(
import_filename,
columns(
col1= Character,
col2 = Character,
col3 = Character,
. = Omit,
),
);

Thanks! As I said, I'm a newbie. It works perfectly now.