cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JMPer1
Level II

overlay

There is a family of curves that I plot on the same graph by using overlay. This works fine for up to 10 curves that needs to be shown on this graph, but when there are 11 curves they get binned into a groups of 2 or 3. How do I show all 11 curves that I can smoother?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: overlay

Numeric columns in JMP have a Modeling Type assigned to them as either, Continuous, Ordinal or Nominal.  If the Overlay column is defined as Continuous, it will combine the different values of the Overlay column.  To change the Modeling Type, you need to open the Column Info dialog window, for the column in question, and use the drop down for the Modeling Type, and select Nominal.

txnelson_0-1704998414722.png

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

try changing the overlay variable to a Nominal modeling type

Jim
JMPer1
Level II

not sure what this type is? I just want to be able to plot Smoother instead of Points. When I try to do this Smoother merges two columns of points together as the Overlay merges them once there are more than 10 unique values in the column used for the overlay.

txnelson
Super User

Numeric columns in JMP have a Modeling Type assigned to them as either, Continuous, Ordinal or Nominal.  If the Overlay column is defined as Continuous, it will combine the different values of the Overlay column.  To change the Modeling Type, you need to open the Column Info dialog window, for the column in question, and use the drop down for the Modeling Type, and select Nominal.

txnelson_0-1704998414722.png

Jim