cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

interaction between two data tables

i have two data tables, data table A is the source file, data table B is the subset of A and went through table -> split in JMP.

Both data table A & B consist of unique number under column name called UNIQUE. Can i interactively move from one row to next row in data table B & get the corresponding row in data table A highlighted or selected, meaning data table A & B linked together using unique column named UNIQUE? 

This is JMP17.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hogi
Level XI

Re: interaction between two data tables

Then switch form "Dispatch" to "Accept" mode.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jthi
Super User

Try if virtual join would work for you. If I remember correctly it does require both of the tables to be saved and that there is unique "ID" (it can only appear once in the column) in one of them

Virtually Join Data Tables (jmp.com)

-Jarmo
Byron_JMP
Staff

When you make the subset, make sure you have this option selected:

Byron_JMP_0-1724088930673.png

Then the child table will be connected to the parent table. Changes in the child occur also in the parent. 

Note: Once the two tables are saved and reopened, the link will be lost.

if you are interested in remaking the same subset frequently, make sure you have this option checked to save the subset script to the parent table.

Byron_JMP_1-1724089085659.png

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
hogi
Level XI

Most probably Table / Split will cut the link between the tables.

To establish a link, use Virtual Join
https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/18.0/#page/jmp/link-data-tables-with-virtual-join-properties.sht...
and activate either dispatch or accept for the row state Select:

hogi_0-1724099327570.png

Virtual join works by doing these steps for my case. it does not solve 100% of my issue. 

1.  data table A with column name "UNIQUE".  Some of the rows are with same content under "UNIQUE", meaning UNIQUE is not unique in data table A. Save data table A.

2. Tables -> split as data table B with UNIQUE as column & tick "Save Scripts to Source table". Set UNIQUE as link ID. Save data table B.

3. Set "UNIQUE" as link reference and ticked "Select" under link reference properties in data table A.

4. when i select the content under UNIQUE in data table A, the UNIQUE in data table B will be highlighted. 

what i would like is the UNIQUE in data table A is highlighted when i move row to row in UNIQUE in data table B. 

hogi
Level XI

Then switch form "Dispatch" to "Accept" mode.

it works by changing "row States Synchronization with Referenced Table" in link reference of data table A from Dispatch to Accept.