cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Françoise
Level V

html interactive report

Hello,

I want to save a Dashboard in a HTML interactive report, but I have this message:

pb message web.jpg

I'm using JMP 15.1, Windows 7 pro, Google chrome.

which browse must I use?

thanks for yours answers.

best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: html interactive report

Thanks for sending in your file @Françoise 

The reason your file takes so long to load and may not even load at all on some browsers is that it is very complicated. Not too complicated for the desktop version of JMP, but too much for a browser that runs with a slower programming language (JavaScript) and other limitations.   

For the benefit of other readers, the dashboard @Françoise was trying to save as Interactive HTML had a local data filter and many tabs. Several tabs had several graphs. A very powerful dashboard indeed!  

To convey the same information on the web, this is what I recommend:

Instead of using many tabs, use one HTML file per tab. Each file will load faster and once loaded will be more responsive.

If you are familiar with File > Publish or Web Report (in JSL), you can use it to publish all pages at once. This feature will produce a web index page to help launch each file with a single click just like clicking on a tab. 

The downside of splitting up the dashboard is that the local data filter will not be shared across pages. This would affect viewers of the dashboard who would have changed the local data filter, then explored how it affected the reports in several tabs. For viewers who focus mostly on one tab this would not be a problem. In fact, splitting it up might make it easier for people who want to focus on one page at a time.

Splitting up the dashboard may also make it easier to compare two pages at a time in two separate browser windows. To do this, you would right click on a thumbnail in the index page and use ‘Open in a new window’ for each page of interest. However, because the local data filter is not shared, you would need to make sure the settings are the same in each page to compare the same subsets of your data.  

The same side by side approach could also be used to compare the same report with different local data filter settings.

Some day, browsers will be able to handle very large and complicated dashboards, but for now, the best strategy is to keep it simple, especially if some of the viewers of your web pages are using mobile devices.

Thanks, 

~John

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Which version of Google Chrome do you have?

Françoise
Level V

after an update, I use:

Version 80.0.3987.149 (Build officiel) (64 bits)

Yet I ve no error message but It doesn't work. ther are no display, only a gey empty page.

may be, my Dashboard has too many tab page boxex or graphs?

Françoise
Level V

The size is 8 764 Ko for the htm file.

Is theer a maximum size to have a display?

Performance will vary based on size - I created a 44MB html file from a dashboard using sample data Probe.jmp - it loads for me in the same Chrome version that you have, on a desktop with 16GB memory.

Does the sample dashboard below work for you?  The html file on my machine is around 1MB.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Quality Control/Steam Turbine Historical.jmp");
app = JMP App();
app << Open File( "$SAMPLE_DASHBOARDS/Instant Dashboard.jmpappsource" );
box = app << Run;

@John_Powell_JMP  may have other suggestions.

Françoise
Level V

It works !

Instant dashboard.jpg

That message will pop up before trying to process the file. I don't see how file size would make a difference unless JMP failed while creating the file.  

If you could share your file or a smaller file that you see this problem with, I would be happy to look at it to investigate. If you prefer to send it in a less public way, please send it through our technical support team.

Thanks, 

~John 

Françoise
Level V

thaks for yours answers.

I shall send the htm file to the technical support to test it.

best regards

Thanks for sending in your file @Françoise 

The reason your file takes so long to load and may not even load at all on some browsers is that it is very complicated. Not too complicated for the desktop version of JMP, but too much for a browser that runs with a slower programming language (JavaScript) and other limitations.   

For the benefit of other readers, the dashboard @Françoise was trying to save as Interactive HTML had a local data filter and many tabs. Several tabs had several graphs. A very powerful dashboard indeed!  

To convey the same information on the web, this is what I recommend:

Instead of using many tabs, use one HTML file per tab. Each file will load faster and once loaded will be more responsive.

If you are familiar with File > Publish or Web Report (in JSL), you can use it to publish all pages at once. This feature will produce a web index page to help launch each file with a single click just like clicking on a tab. 

The downside of splitting up the dashboard is that the local data filter will not be shared across pages. This would affect viewers of the dashboard who would have changed the local data filter, then explored how it affected the reports in several tabs. For viewers who focus mostly on one tab this would not be a problem. In fact, splitting it up might make it easier for people who want to focus on one page at a time.

Splitting up the dashboard may also make it easier to compare two pages at a time in two separate browser windows. To do this, you would right click on a thumbnail in the index page and use ‘Open in a new window’ for each page of interest. However, because the local data filter is not shared, you would need to make sure the settings are the same in each page to compare the same subsets of your data.  

The same side by side approach could also be used to compare the same report with different local data filter settings.

Some day, browsers will be able to handle very large and complicated dashboards, but for now, the best strategy is to keep it simple, especially if some of the viewers of your web pages are using mobile devices.

Thanks, 

~John