cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Mikasa
Level II

how to set the control limit for a column using other columns?

Hi every one.

I know this question might be repeated. I have read all answers for example Getting control limits from column property 

I have a column (:X) and I have three columns for :X control limits,  (UCL,LCL, Ave). and I like to set the control limits to :X, but I am confused.

I tried ;

:X<<Set Property("Control Limits", {XBar(Ave(:Center Line[1]),LCL( :Lower Limit[1] ), UCL( Upper Limit[1] )), Show Control Limits( 1)});

But it does not work.

Also, sometimes in UCL,LCL, and AVE columns, I have different values for different rows in :X

I know it is not possible to have different set of Spec limits for a Colum but I was wondering if there is a way to do that for Control limit.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
statman
Super User

Re: how to set the control limit for a column using other columns?

Sorry, I'm a bit confused by your inquiry.  Why don't you let JMP calculate the control limits (or create control charts) on your x column?  You realize control limits are a function of the data, how it was collected and how you are subgrouping it?

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
Mikasa
Level II

Thanks @statman 

I am creating a report and my data table include all data that I pull by JMP. I wrote an script for my report and making a HTML report at the end. This script has to be run every day, so I am not sure if I can do what you are suggesting. 

statman
Super User

Hopefully you aren't just changing control limits every day? And hopefully the control limits are appropriate for your data set.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
Mikasa
Level II

No the data table will be updated daily too. and all the data are pulled out from the same tool and appropriate.
txnelson
Super User

The values within Lists will not be executed, therefore, you need to use the below methodology to create the JSL needed to upload the Control Limits

Eval(
	Substitute(
			Expr(
				:X << Set Property(
					"Control Limits",
					{XBar( Ave( __avg__ ), LCL( __LCL__ ), UCL( __UCL__ ) ),
					Show Control Limits( 1 )}
				)
			),
		Expr( __avg__ ), :Center Line[1],
		Expr( __LCL__ ), :Lower Limit[1],
		Expr( __UCL__ ), :Upper Limit[1]
	)
);
Jim
Mikasa
Level II

Thanks Jim
this method works for the Spec limits but does not show the control limits. I am not sure what is wrong
txnelson
Super User

I was going to comment on your "Show Limits()" element you added to the Control Limits specification.  As far as I know, Spec Limits and Response are the only limits that will automatically display on charts and graphs.

Control limits can be set for different phases in the data table.  The Control Chart Platforms can handle the phases and the displaying of control limits.  Once you go outside of the Control Limits Platforms, the displaying of control limits has to be done by adding JSL to the charts to display the limits.

Jim
Mikasa
Level II

sorry Jim, I think I am confused with your answer,

I added 

Eval(
Substitute(
Expr(
:REM OX << Set Property(
"Control Limits",
{XBar( Ave( __avg__ ), LCL( __LCL__ ), UCL( __UCL__ ) ),
Show Control Limits( 1 )}
)
),
Expr( __avg__ ), :Center Line[1],
Expr( __LCL__ ), :Lower Limit[1],
Expr( __UCL__ ), :Upper Limit[1],
),
);  

to my script to upload the limits.

It does not show any thing on the charts.  It is working for Spec limits.

I could not understand your comment about Show Control limits()

txnelson
Super User

As I stated in my last response:
As far as I know, Spec Limits and Response are the only limits that will automatically display on charts and graphs

Control Limits do not have the capability to automatically be displayed on charts, except for Control Charts!
Jim