cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
tonkatsu2020
Level II

how to script for finding maximum, minimum date value in a row for 100+ columns

i have a table with 500+ rows and 100+ columns. Populated with numeric values (dates). I need to find the maximum and minimum value along each row for earliest and latest date. i guess the script would be similar to 'Maximum (column1........column100)' for each row. But i am not sure how to script the column ranges along each row.  

10 REPLIES 10
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: how to script for finding maximum, minimum date value in a row for 100+ columns

Hi,
Have you considered transposing your data (Rows become Column and reciprocaly)? You would then be able to use the Col Minimum and Col Maximum formulas.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
SDF1
Super User

Re: how to script for finding maximum, minimum date value in a row for 100+ columns

Hi @tonkatsu2020 ,

Something you might want to consider is whether or not your data table is "oriented" or arranged in the right way. Normally, you'd want to have a single column with data and then the rows would be each new instance of whatever it is you're looking at.

You might consider transposing your data. Then, it's just easy to find the Col Maximum() and Col Minimum(). However, this might not be what you're after. Can you share an anonymized version of your table? That might help in understanding how your data is structured and what you want to do with it.

DS

txnelson
Super User

Here is a simple formula that will find all of the continuous columns in your data table, and then calculate the maximum value for those columns.  Just use it as the formula for a new column

If( Row() == 1,
	theList = Current Data Table() << get column names( continuous )
);
Max( theLIst );
Jim
tonkatsu2020
Level II

if i want to use only a range of columns, NOT all columns, how do i script this? Lets say i want to use only 10th column to 100th column for all the rows; how do i script this?
ThuongLe
Level IV

I think it'd be simple. Just create a new column with formula Min(:Col1, :Col2,....,:Coln)
You can drag and drop all columns into the formula editor.
Thuong Le
tonkatsu2020
Level II

how to specify the range in the script, what exact symbols/characters to use in the script? that's what i am interested in
ian_jmp
Staff

Here's one way. Use 'Help > Scripting Index' and the 'JSL Scripting Guide' to understand whatever is unclear.

NamesDefaultToHere(1);

// Make some data
nr = 100;
nc = 50;
dt = AsTable(J(nr, nc, RandomNormal(0, 1)));
dt << setName("Some Random Continuous Columns");

// Define a contiguous range of columns to consider
startColNum = RandomInteger(1, Floor(nc/2));
endColNum = RandomInteger(Ceiling(nc/2), nc);

// Get the list of columns to include in the formulas
allCols = dt << getColumnNames;
myCols = allCols[startColNum::endColNum];

// Add the required formulas
CMD = Expr(dt << NewColumn("Row Maximum from Cols "||Char(startColNum)||" to "||Char(endColNum), Numeric, Continuous, Formula(Max(colsTBD))));
SubstituteInto(CMD, Expr(colsTBD), myCols);
CMD;
CMD = Expr(dt << NewColumn("Row Minimum from Cols "||Char(startColNum)||" to "||Char(endColNum), Numeric, Continuous, Formula(Min(colsTBD))));
SubstituteInto(CMD, Expr(colsTBD), myCols);
CMD;
txnelson
Super User

If you want to only use the 10th through the end of the data table, you can change the elements in the list used for the column specification.  Here is a modification of the formula I previously submitted

If( Row() == 1,
	theList = Current Data Table() << get column names(  );
        remove from( theList, 1, 9 );
);
Max( theLIst );

Documentation on List modification can be found in the Scripting Guide.

Jim
tonkatsu2020
Level II

considering each column has values from each day; and i need to take the average of last 4 days data (average of 4 columns) and put this into a new column. how do i create a formula for this new column? where the references inside the formula will be changing every day?