cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
wang_rr
Level I

how to create OC curve

Is any body know how to create an OC curve (operational charateristic curve) with JMP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Re: how to create OC curve

Before I go too far, I want to point you towards an article in the Journal of Statistics Education (1998) by Gatti and Harwell entitled "Advantages of Computer Programs Over Power Charts for the Estimation of Power", in which they detail how OC charts are difficult to read, and fraught with error.

Nonetheless, OC-like charts can be easily generated in JMP by entering one of the three inputs (like Power, for instance) in the Sample Size and Power platform under the DOE pulldown:

7801_OC Curve.jpg

Of course, Pearson-Hartley OC Curves can be exactly reproduced in JSL with some dedication and perseverence.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Before I go too far, I want to point you towards an article in the Journal of Statistics Education (1998) by Gatti and Harwell entitled "Advantages of Computer Programs Over Power Charts for the Estimation of Power", in which they detail how OC charts are difficult to read, and fraught with error.

Nonetheless, OC-like charts can be easily generated in JMP by entering one of the three inputs (like Power, for instance) in the Sample Size and Power platform under the DOE pulldown:

7801_OC Curve.jpg

Of course, Pearson-Hartley OC Curves can be exactly reproduced in JSL with some dedication and perseverence.

Phil_Kay
Staff

Updating for anyone searching on this.

OC curves are now available from control charts and the JMP Starter. Search for "OC curve" in JMP Help.  

From JMP Help:

"OC Curve
Gives Operating Characteristic (OC) curves for specific control charts. OC curves are defined in JMP only for X-, p-, np-, c-, and u-charts. The curve shows how the probability of accepting a lot changes with the quality of the sample. When you choose the OCCurve option from the control chart option list, JMP opens a new window containing the curve, using all the calculated values directly from the active control chart. Alternatively, you can run an OC curve directly from the Control category of the JMP Starter. Select the chart on which you want the curve based, then a window prompts you for Target, Lower Control Limit, Upper Control Limit, k, Sigma, and Sample Size. You can also perform both single and double acceptance sampling in the same manner. To engage this feature, choose View > JMP Starter > Control (under Click Category) > OC Curves. A pop-up window enables you to specify whether single or double acceptance sampling is desired. A second pop-up window is invoked, where you can specify acceptance failures, number inspected, and lot size (for single acceptance sampling). Clicking OK generates the desired OC curve."