cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ReliabilityWolf
Level III

how to count value in columns

I am fairly new to JMP. I have a data table here

ReliabilityWolf_0-1720790539308.png

I like to have X count column to show the count number of the value in X-COORD, similar thing, X-Y Count column to show the count number of the value [X-COORD, Y-COORD]. 

in fact, I can get the count number by tabulate. but I like to show the numbers in column in order to do next level calculation.

ReliabilityWolf_1-1720790933409.pngReliabilityWolf_2-1720790978143.png

I really appreciate if you would do me a favor to show which formula is supposed to apply in column of X count, which formula for X-Y count. thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: how to count value in columns

Hi,

To get the count of items per user-specified categories, you could use:

Col Number( Y_COORD, X_COORD)

Which will return the number of Y_COORD items for each X_COORD group.

NOTE: you can have multiple grouping categories (second terms) if needed.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
ReliabilityWolf
Level III

sorry for my unclear statement. my intention is to look X-COORD and Y-COORD as matrix, the number in X-Y Count column is my purpose. I am looking forward to your help on the formula. 

ReliabilityWolf_0-1720796492506.png

txnelson
Super User

Fastest and easiest way is to use:

Tables=>Summary

and specify X-COORD and Y_COORD as grouping variables, and do not specify a statictic

Then use

Tables=>Update

from your original data table and specify the summary table as the update table, matching on S_COORD and Y-COORD

Jim
jthi
Super User

Summarize + Update is the easiest option (or you can do interactive drag and drop if you can get it to work). You can also use Col Sum()

Col Sum(1, :X, :Y)

Col Number should also work, but you have to make slight modification to Thierry's suggestion

Col Number(:X, :X, :Y)

jthi_0-1720802847905.png

-Jarmo