cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jaboraws
Level I

how to convert p value of <.0001 to actual number

Is it possible to get an actual number for pvalues instead of "<.0001"?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: how to convert p value of <.0001 to actual number

In report table boxes, double-click on a p-value (or any number col box) to bring up the number format window. Change the setting from "PValue" to "Best".

View solution in original post

The reason why you see 0e+0 is most likely that the number of leading zeros after the decimal is higher than what you asked to display. Then JMP or any other software can only represent what is given by the calculations which is 0 then.

However, you should be aware of floating point arithmetic and what it is capable of calculating.1e-17 usually is the point where a floating point number cannot differentiate from 0, which means every non-zero value smaller than 1e-17 will be interpreted in calcualtions as zeros. That's (within others) for what symbolic math is good for, because you use symbolic values to deal with that, and the maths behind will calculate further on with mathematical rules rather than actual numeric calculations. Just a side note

/****NeverStopLearning****/

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

In report table boxes, double-click on a p-value (or any number col box) to bring up the number format window. Change the setting from "PValue" to "Best".

jaboraws
Level I

Thanks but I have already tried that and the "<.0001" values just get converted to "0". 

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

try changing it to fixed Dec as follows:

12768_pastedImage_0.png

jaboraws
Level I

Thanks but I also tried that, even maxing out the width and decimal places and still converts is to simply "0" or "0.00000..........".   

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Try to edit the width of the number. But maybe there is a limit for how small numbers JMP will show.

Here's a really small p-value from an ANOVA (I use JMP 12.2).

Prob > F

4,3e-179

jaboraws
Level I

Thanks again, I tried that as well and it still just converts it to "0".  Actually the p value you got is exactly what I want as well.  Not sure why I cannot convert it like you.  I also am using JMP12.2. 

Example:

12770_pastedImage_0.png

Hi,

Have you tried to use scientific format rather than fixed Dec?

jaboraws
Level I

Yes, I have tried all the different formats and different widths and decimal places.  It all just converts to "0".

Thanks though. 

The reason why you see 0e+0 is most likely that the number of leading zeros after the decimal is higher than what you asked to display. Then JMP or any other software can only represent what is given by the calculations which is 0 then.

However, you should be aware of floating point arithmetic and what it is capable of calculating.1e-17 usually is the point where a floating point number cannot differentiate from 0, which means every non-zero value smaller than 1e-17 will be interpreted in calcualtions as zeros. That's (within others) for what symbolic math is good for, because you use symbolic values to deal with that, and the maths behind will calculate further on with mathematical rules rather than actual numeric calculations. Just a side note