cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ksteinmann
Level I

force all histogram levels on bar graph, even if count = 0?

Hi - i am making mulitple histogram graphs with 9 categorical levels possible  - i would like all 9 levels to show on the axis, even if the frequency count is zero for a specific bin on a specific histogram... Is there a way to force zero counts to show on the graph axis (for example, the bin in included on the axis, but there is no bar since count = 0)? I think having all levels on each graph will make it easier for the reader to compare across graphs. right now i have tried using the distribution icon, but each histogram it creates has a different assortment of categorical levels. I am using JMP 13.2.1

thanks in advance for any ideas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: force all histogram levels on bar graph, even if count = 0?

I assume you are using Graph Builder. There may be better ways to do this, but this should work.

I would recommend using the Value Ordering property so that each graph will have the same order on the x-axis.

Then add a column of all 1's to the table, call this column Freq. use a pre-selected role of Frequency for this column.

Now whenever you have a graph where a level is missing, add the level, but put a 0 in the Freq column. This should make it appear on the graph.

I have included a sample file with an example where level D is missing.

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I assume you are using Graph Builder. There may be better ways to do this, but this should work.

I would recommend using the Value Ordering property so that each graph will have the same order on the x-axis.

Then add a column of all 1's to the table, call this column Freq. use a pre-selected role of Frequency for this column.

Now whenever you have a graph where a level is missing, add the level, but put a 0 in the Freq column. This should make it appear on the graph.

I have included a sample file with an example where level D is missing.

Dan Obermiller
ksteinmann
Level I

thank you! your advice did the trick!