cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Batista
Level II

filter

Hi!! After recoding data I need to filter a few words. And make them a different  column. What tools should I use.

For example: I have 10.000 rows with labs test. I need just the Hemoglobin, urea, creatinine and troponin. How to make a columns with just them. Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: filter

Hi @Batista,

It sounds like perhaps Indicator Columns of those terms would be useful for you. I would use Analyze > Text Explorer. Place your text column in as Text Column, and click OK. You'll see a list of the most common terms and phrases in your rows of text. You can sort by Term alphabetically by clicking the header, or find your terms based on their frequency of occurrence (the default sort order). Find the terms you mentioned, right-click the terms and then select Save Indicators.

save.png

This will save new columns with a 1 if that term if present in the given row of text. table.pngI hope this helps!

@julian 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
julian

Hi @Batista,

It sounds like perhaps Indicator Columns of those terms would be useful for you. I would use Analyze > Text Explorer. Place your text column in as Text Column, and click OK. You'll see a list of the most common terms and phrases in your rows of text. You can sort by Term alphabetically by clicking the header, or find your terms based on their frequency of occurrence (the default sort order). Find the terms you mentioned, right-click the terms and then select Save Indicators.

save.png

This will save new columns with a 1 if that term if present in the given row of text. table.pngI hope this helps!

@julian 

Batista
Level II

fantastic!!!!!!!!! thanks
Batista
Level II

After that how is the best way to combine thouse column in one.

For example: Analyze > Text Explorer after researching for the surgeries I want I end up with 3 columns: coronary grafting, coronary graft, coronary bypas. All of them need to be combine in one column making sure if the surgery is present keep it as 1.

julian

Hi @Batista,
I'm not sure if I completely understand now what you're trying to do here. But, I think what you have are several indicator columns now and you would like a single column that shows if any one of them was present. In those situations, I create a Formula Column taking the Max() of the indicator columns. You can do this with New Formula Column right in the data table by selecting the columns, then Right Click a column header > New Formula Column > Combine > Maximum. You will then have a single indicator of the presence of any of those terms.

max.gif

If this isn't what you're after, could you explain a little bit more about your goal here? It would also be helpful if you could provide a piece of your data, or at least a screenshot so we can better see how your data are currently organized.

@julian