cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
joann
Level IV

data cleaning- special character

Hi, I have a messy column "zip code" filled with all kinds of special characters. Is there a way I can quickly remove all the special character and leave the string using JMP's function but not jsl? Thank you. 

AZ23105

[29466]

@11768

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: data cleaning- special character

I am not aware of a JMP builtin function that will convert the data as needed.  However attached is a data table where I have created a new formula column that will remove all non numeric values

form2.PNG

form.PNG

Jim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

I am not aware of a JMP builtin function that will convert the data as needed.  However attached is a data table where I have created a new formula column that will remove all non numeric values

form2.PNG

form.PNG

Jim
joann
Level IV

Thank you Jim! Is there a way to keep the 0 in front of the string? like "06385" but not "6385".
txnelson
Super User

If you make the column a character column, and then change the last line in the formula from
Num( Number );
to just
Number;
Jim
joann
Level IV

It works! Thanks a lot Jim!!
Georg
Level VII

Just another approach using regex, but not so easy to understand:

It replaces all occurrences in :column1 that are not digits by "".

Regex( :Column 1, "[^0-9]", "", GLOBALREPLACE )

Georg_0-1618333592499.png

Georg

You should also look at the Rows > Recode command. It has been significantly enhanced over several recent versions of JMP. Many problems with data (e.g., inconsistency) can be directly handled with the Recode tool now without resorting to formulas or scripts.