cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
abbasintx
Level I

column selection/data subset

Need a little help.  In my data table i have like 500 columns and 2000 rows.  I have another data table which contains only a small ## of column names (subset of columns of the original table).  How do i subset my my original data table so it contains only the columns which are i have a list for in the second table.?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: column selection/data subset

Just a comment about stacking.  By stacking and splitting(un stacking) the column metadata is lost, where using either of the techniques that Jarmo suggested does not.  Formats, formulas, Column Properties such as Units, Value Labels, Spec Limits, Control Limits will be lost.

Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jthi
Super User

I think this interactive flow should work:

I have two tables, this small table determines the columns I wish to keep

jthi_3-1718305321734.png

My other table has much more data but I need to just get those columns

jthi_4-1718305326464.png

you can use Join to basically overwrite the values is smaller table

jthi_5-1718305390132.png

With pure script solution it could look something like this. First get the column names from the smaller table into a list using << Get Column Names("String") and then use that list in << Subset()

Names Default To Here(1);

dtbig = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class Families.jmp");

dtsmall = Open("$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp");

cols_to_keep = dtsmall << Get Column Names("String");

dt_new = dtbig << Subset(All Rows, Columns(cols_to_keep));

-Jarmo
abbasintx
Level I

Thanks...i think stacking and un stacking does it for me...Appreciate your help.. 

txnelson
Super User

Just a comment about stacking.  By stacking and splitting(un stacking) the column metadata is lost, where using either of the techniques that Jarmo suggested does not.  Formats, formulas, Column Properties such as Units, Value Labels, Spec Limits, Control Limits will be lost.

Jim
abbasintx
Level I

Ah… I think join works the best few clicks…you all are amazing.