Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
LogitPorcupine1
Level III

can't access files in JMP project that i've been working on for a long time

Hello,

all of a sudden i can't access the files in a JMP project i've been using for a long time.  the project itself opens, but then this "JMP alert" pops up and i none of the files saved in the project appear...has anyone else encountered this before???

i am using JMP 16.1.0

Jmp project fault code.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LogitPorcupine1
Level III

Re: can't access files in JMP project that i've been working on for a long time

interesting, that makes sense in my case.  My work computer has recently been on the fritz and seems to reboot itself randomly.  

Luckily, a JMP developer saw my issue on this discussion thread and told me to send the bad project over to JMP.  He was able to locate a corrupted data table in the project which was causing this fault.  when he deleted the corrupted datatable, i could open the project again.   Possibly one of my data tables in the project got messed up during an unexpected reboot.

If you have a similar problem contact Tech Support (support@jmp.com) and see if they can help you get your project back in order.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

I can understand your frustration. The main question is, what has changed since the last time you opened the project successfully? Any updates or problems with your local or file server? If you look for the file using File Explorer (Windows), is it still where it is supposed to be? Also, does it have the correct name and extension?

If it is a regular zipped archive, would it be possible to unzip it outside of JMP and try opening the resulting files?  If all else fails, do you have a backup around the time of the last successful access?

These are pretty generic suggestions, and other community members may have better ideas.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
Craige_Hales
Super User

The project file format changed from 15 to 16. In 16 it is a zip file, without the .zip extension.

Look at the file size in explorer. If it is zero, there is no use looking at it further. You might try opening in 15 if you have it available.

In 16 I let JMP store most of my files inside the zip. That means I'd lose everything if the project is lost. When I remember to, I save a copy of the project to a numbered sequence of backups.

A JMP 15 project will open with notepad and looks like this

/* JMP 15.2.1 */
New Project(
	Run Script(

A JMP 16 project is zipped, and if renamed looks like this

Capture.PNG

You should also peek here and see if there is an abandoned project you might get something back from:

temp dirtemp dir

Don't hold your breath; if you find anything it probably is incomplete or old.

Craige
LogitPorcupine1
Level III

thanks for your reply,

the JMP project in the file explorer still says the file is 40MB, about what i remember it being when i last opened it

LogitPorcupine1_3-1651596482474.png

i tried renaming the project with a ".zip" extension, but file explorer wont let me open the renamed zip file

LogitPorcupine1_4-1651596671097.png

when i open the JMP project in question and check the "JMPProject" folder, i don't see anything appear.  when i open other projects, i see the contents file appear

LogitPorcupine1_5-1651596872034.png

LogitPorcupine1
Level III

thanks for your suggestions i appreciate the help.  As far as i know, there were no updates to with my file server and the project is still where it is supposed to be.  also, my other JMP projects all open fine, so i'm not sure what happed to this file,

the JMP project is still in the folder its always been in, and it seems like it still has the data in it (file size is 40MB, about the size i remember it being), just always get that error code when i open this project

LogitPorcupine1_1-1651596151404.png

LogitPorcupine1
Level III

sorry, here is a better pic of the JMPprj in the folder

LogitPorcupine1_2-1651596340181.png

kweng
Level I

I got exactly same error as you got with jmp16. Noramlly the error occures when the jmpproj file is in open status when your PC rebooted, even the .jmpproj was saved up-to-date. Don't knwo how to fix this binary file. What I did it to either close the project file after done the work or made a backup file in case window is closed improperly. The files in the project are not affected. If anyone has experience of fixing a damaged .jmpproj file, plase advise.   thanks.

LogitPorcupine1
Level III

interesting, that makes sense in my case.  My work computer has recently been on the fritz and seems to reboot itself randomly.  

Luckily, a JMP developer saw my issue on this discussion thread and told me to send the bad project over to JMP.  He was able to locate a corrupted data table in the project which was causing this fault.  when he deleted the corrupted datatable, i could open the project again.   Possibly one of my data tables in the project got messed up during an unexpected reboot.

If you have a similar problem contact Tech Support (support@jmp.com) and see if they can help you get your project back in order.

BharathKumar
Level I

In my case, the project references hundreds of data tables outside the project location. It is impossible to find which data table corrupted without any clue from jmp project

how do you get your JMP project issue solved? I am experiencing same problem and it is likely due to unexpected PC reboot with JMP project is open. I came across this discussion, wonder if there is a solution besides contacting JMP developer. It is really frustrating since I have lots of plots save in the project. 

thanks