cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
yabuyobi
Level II

about font

I created a graph with Graph Builder, saved it in eps format, and opened it in Illustrator.
I created the font in Arial on the graph, but when I opened the file in Illustrator, it was in a different font (probably Times new roman).
Can anyone please tell me how I can save the font without changing it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: about font

Hi,
It looks indeed like the EPS translation routine use by JMP is buggy: it replaces fonts with irrelevant alternatives.
I don't have a perfect solution but here are 3 workarounds that may help:
1) JMP PDF -> Illustrator: the cleanest approach, although not perfect, is to save your graphs as PDF files: these can be directly open in Illustrator with the caveat that the font names used by JMP may not directly translate to the fonts recognized by Illustrator (e.g. JMP "ARIAL" is not recognized by Illustrator as "Arial" and needs to replaced)
2) JMP EPS -> Illustrator: In Illustrator, select the entire graph, go to Type > Find Fonts and then replace Helvetica back to Arial: it might be tedious if you have a lot of plots to edit but this will preserve all text as editable entities
3) JMP EMF -> Illustrator: within JMP, save your plots as EMF files which will maintain the font for all horizontal text but the vertical text will be converted to paths which are not editable entities; this will require to recreate the vertical text manually = not ideal either.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,
That may be a problem with Illustrator rather than JMP. Have you checked the Font Replacement preference in Illustrator? Does this problem occur with all fonts from JMP? Have you tested another source of EPS file to test whether Illustrator handles it as expected or with the font replacement you described?
Just a couple of thoughts; others may have a deeper insight than I.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
yabuyobi
Level II

Dear Thierry,

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the EPS file with Photoshop and confirmed the same problem.

Furthermore, I opened the file with a text editor (Notepad) and found a sentence below.

/Helvetica findfont

It seems that the font changed from Arial to Helvetica when exporting with JMP.

I tried other fonts (Century, Calibri).

In this case, strangely, the font was changed to Times Roman as shown below.

/Times-Roman findfont

Best,

Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,
It looks indeed like the EPS translation routine use by JMP is buggy: it replaces fonts with irrelevant alternatives.
I don't have a perfect solution but here are 3 workarounds that may help:
1) JMP PDF -> Illustrator: the cleanest approach, although not perfect, is to save your graphs as PDF files: these can be directly open in Illustrator with the caveat that the font names used by JMP may not directly translate to the fonts recognized by Illustrator (e.g. JMP "ARIAL" is not recognized by Illustrator as "Arial" and needs to replaced)
2) JMP EPS -> Illustrator: In Illustrator, select the entire graph, go to Type > Find Fonts and then replace Helvetica back to Arial: it might be tedious if you have a lot of plots to edit but this will preserve all text as editable entities
3) JMP EMF -> Illustrator: within JMP, save your plots as EMF files which will maintain the font for all horizontal text but the vertical text will be converted to paths which are not editable entities; this will require to recreate the vertical text manually = not ideal either.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
yabuyobi
Level II

Dear Thierry,

I tried methods 1 and 2 and chose 2.
I initially moved EPS file to Illustrator by drag and drop, but in that case, I couldn't edit it well. When I opened the EPS file directly in Illustrator, Helvetica was detected as an unrecognized font and I was able to batch convert it to the specified font (eg Arial).

Thank you for suggesting a solution!!

Best,