cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
robhanssen
Level III

X and Y error bars in X-Y Plot

For physical property correlation tests, we often measure two properties on a series of samples differentiated by a varying concentration of an additive. These two property measurements are repeated 5 times for each sample (at a set concentration). What I would like to do, is plot the two properties on a scatter plot and show the error bars for both properties by concentration.

In Excel, I would calculate mean, std.dev and the confidence interval. The confidence interval can then be used to set the size of the error bars in the X and Y direction.

JMP is bound to have a much better and more statistically sound mechanism for this, I hope? I've added some example files, to illustrate my intention. These are randomly generated data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: X and Y error bars in X-Y Plot

With some effort it can be done with Graph Builder in JMP 13 by plotting Y positioned at mean_X and X positioned at mean_Y on top of eachother but with different response axis settings. In the example below locally tranformed columns are used within Graph Builder (i.e. no need to change the data table). 

X-Y.png 

Here the script to reproduce it:

Graph Builder(
    Variables(
        X(:Property1),
        X(Transform Column("mean_Prop1", Formula(Col Mean(:Property1, :concentration))), Position(1)),
        Y(:Property2),
        Y(Transform Column("mean_Prop2", Formula(Col Mean(:Property2, :concentration))), Position(1)),
        Overlay(:concentration)
    ),
    Elements(
        Points(X(1), Y(2), Response Axis("X"), Summary Statistic("Mean"), Error Bars("Confidence Interval")),
        Points(X(2), Y(1), Response Axis("Y"), Summary Statistic("Mean"), Error Bars("Confidence Interval"))
    )
);

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

How about a bivariate density elipse for each concentration?

JMPScreenSnapz074.png

You can get this using Fit Y by X with your two measurements.

Then choose Group By... from the red triangle hotspot and choose Concentration as your grouping column.

JMPScreenSnapz072.png

Then add a density elipse.

JMPScreenSnapz073.png

-Jeff
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

With some effort it can be done with Graph Builder in JMP 13 by plotting Y positioned at mean_X and X positioned at mean_Y on top of eachother but with different response axis settings. In the example below locally tranformed columns are used within Graph Builder (i.e. no need to change the data table). 

X-Y.png 

Here the script to reproduce it:

Graph Builder(
    Variables(
        X(:Property1),
        X(Transform Column("mean_Prop1", Formula(Col Mean(:Property1, :concentration))), Position(1)),
        Y(:Property2),
        Y(Transform Column("mean_Prop2", Formula(Col Mean(:Property2, :concentration))), Position(1)),
        Overlay(:concentration)
    ),
    Elements(
        Points(X(1), Y(2), Response Axis("X"), Summary Statistic("Mean"), Error Bars("Confidence Interval")),
        Points(X(2), Y(1), Response Axis("Y"), Summary Statistic("Mean"), Error Bars("Confidence Interval"))
    )
);

robhanssen
Level III

Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Is there an obvious way to generate this script through the Graph Builder application? I might invest time to generate scripts this way, but I'd like to convey this to my co-workers as well.