Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
norman21
Level I

World map projection

Hi,

Does anyone know the default type of world map projection used in JMP? Ideally with a reference that can be cited.

It looks like a Mollweide projection, but it would be great to have some factual information to support this.

Thanks,

Norman.

JMP® Pro 17.01.0 running on Windows 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: World map projection

Hi @norman21,

In JMP the regional scale uses an Albers equal area projection, and the world scale uses a Kavrayskiy VII compromise projection. You can read a little more about these image maps in the jmp documentation.

I hope this helps!

@julian 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
julian

Hi @norman21,

In JMP the regional scale uses an Albers equal area projection, and the world scale uses a Kavrayskiy VII compromise projection. You can read a little more about these image maps in the jmp documentation.

I hope this helps!

@julian 

norman21
Level I

Thanks Julian, this is exactly the information needed (and... how interesting!)

However, I see that the JMP documentation states "JMP uses a couple of projections (Albers Equal Area Conic and Kavrayskiy VII) for its maps.", which is a little vague. Is there a way to amend the wording so that it says what you have written?

Norman.

JMP® Pro 17.01.0 running on Windows 10
julian

Absolutely, Norman! I had the same thought once I read what was written there, and I'll make sure our documentation team is aware of this so they can get it updated.

@julian