cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
RA899
Level III

Working on multiple data files and creating a summary table that contains the mean, std, etc.

Hi, 

Lets say we have multiple big class data files, with different height, weight column, etc and I want to create a summary table that contains the mean, standard deviation,  cpk, Spec limits, etc. 

I want to have a summary data table that lists the mean for example, for the first big class file, do the same thing for the next big class file. Is there are a method that I can use to perform such a task? 

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: Working on multiple data files and creating a summary table that contains the mean, std, etc.

What I would do is to use

Tables=>Concatenate

to put all of the tables into one table.  Make sure you select the "Create source column".  This will give you a new column in the final data table, which distinguishes between the tables.

Next, use

Tables=>Summary

to create a summary data table.

Use the new "Source" column as a Group variable, which aggregates the statistics into results separately for each of the original input data tables.   

Jim
RA899
Level III

Re: Working on multiple data files and creating a summary table that contains the mean, std, etc.

Thanks @txnelson for the suggestion. I forgot to mention that I'm trying to write a JSL code to do the task. I found some posts on the community but all mentioning how to perform the task for each table separately. Do you have any guidance in writing the JSL code? thanks!

RA899
Level III

The other note I have is that I'm trying to add columns in the table that represent a certain formula of my choosing. Table summary only allows certain options.

I know I can add a formula column to the data table itself, but I'm not sure how to migrate that column to the summary table without choosing a stat option, such as the mean of that table.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks again!