cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rlw268
Level III

Wilcoxon Sign Ranked Test - JMP OUT PUT

Hi, 

So I am doing Wilcoxon Sign Ranked test and I am not understanding what JMP is doing for where it says test statistic. I understand its using the "Pratt method" and this is the formula 

S = R+ - 1/4[(N(N+1)-do(do+1)]

but could you expand on this a little further as I am not getting the same thing as what JMP is gettting.

where my values are :

R+ is 1527,

my sample has 76 pairs,

and 11 0's.

I try plugging my values into that formula and I get is but JMP is returning 581 for S. Please help me I am going nuts. 

S = 581 does not = 1527-1/4[76(76+1)-11(11+1)]

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should mention when adding these in the matched pair test under analyzed I am putting dad height first then height (which is the opposite of how I want it to read out). Data attached

Rachel

@Mark_Bailey 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Wilcoxon Sign Ranked Test - JMP OUT PUT

I've done the calculations in a JMP table (attached).

Following the calculation steps in the online documentation:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.2/index.shtml#page/jmp/wilcoxon-signed-rank-test.shtml

I get S = -581 (same as JMP)

And for R+ I get 849; plug that into the R+ formula using d0=11, you also arrive at -581.

-Dave

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

I've done the calculations in a JMP table (attached).

Following the calculation steps in the online documentation:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.2/index.shtml#page/jmp/wilcoxon-signed-rank-test.shtml

I get S = -581 (same as JMP)

And for R+ I get 849; plug that into the R+ formula using d0=11, you also arrive at -581.

-Dave
rlw268
Level III

@David_Burnham wow thank you so much for putting that together for me and showing me!. I greatly appreciate this!! 

I finally saw where I was going wrong, my error was with R+!

Curious if you could answer another question for me?

Can you explain to me what the highlighted part of the the variance formula is? I can not wrap my head around the term di.

Thank you,

Rachel

David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

The principle is that the presence of ties will have the effect of reducing the variance, so an adjustment is required by an amount that is a function of the proportions of the observations that are tied at each tie point. However, I'm not familiar with the details of the calculation or the theoretical basis of it.

-Dave