cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
mattrichie
Level I

Why is there no "col mode" function?

I'm a student learning with JMP, and I need to use the mode of a data table column in a conditional formula. JMP has col mean, col max, and several others, but no col mode. What is the reason, and what is the workaround?
I humbly acknowledge that I'm asking out of ignorance, but I've found no similar questions online, which usually means I'm using the wrong terms or the answer is obvious to those already in the field.
Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Why is there no "col mode" function?

There is also a mode function that finds the most common value in a matrix; you can turn it into a column function like this:

dt = Open( "$sample_data\big class.jmp" );
dt << New Column( "age centered on mode",
    formula( :age - As Constant( Mode( dt:age << getvalues ) ) )
);

The <<getValues message returns a matrix of values from the age column. The AsConstant function calculate the mode once, and treats that value as a constant for the rest of the column (speeds it up, not strictly necessary).

Column using ModeColumn using Mode

You can change mode to mean and see a different set of numbers.

Craige

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

See Craige's response below....it answers the question better

1.  If you go to

Help==>Statistics Index

and scrolled down to "Mean" you would see where it is surfaced in JMP

2. It is available under the red triangle options in the Distribution Platform

Display Options==>Customize Summary Statistics

customize.PNGcustomize2.PNG

Jim
Craige_Hales
Super User

There is also a mode function that finds the most common value in a matrix; you can turn it into a column function like this:

dt = Open( "$sample_data\big class.jmp" );
dt << New Column( "age centered on mode",
    formula( :age - As Constant( Mode( dt:age << getvalues ) ) )
);

The <<getValues message returns a matrix of values from the age column. The AsConstant function calculate the mode once, and treats that value as a constant for the rest of the column (speeds it up, not strictly necessary).

Column using ModeColumn using Mode

You can change mode to mean and see a different set of numbers.

Craige
mattrichie
Level I

Thanks for the input!

I'm not sure that my original question was clear, but based on your suggestions I was able to creat this solution:

If( Is Missing( :OCCUP_CD ),
Mode( :OCCUP_CD << get values ),
:OCCUP_CD
)

The one snag I hit is that the mode for one column is "missing" (there are more missing values than any other category).