cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
BHarris
Level VI

Why does JMP Graph Builder sometimes plot tiny dots that ignore the marker settings?

I've noticed when I plot dot plots in Graph Builder that if I have above a certain number of dots, it starts printing them as tiny oddly shaped dots and starts to ignore the marker settings. 

Why does it do that?  Can I prevent it from doing that? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why does JMP Graph Builder sometimes plot tiny dots that ignore the marker settings?

Having an example plot would be helpful so that we can see what you see.

Without the picture, my best guess would be that you have enough data to enact the "Fast Marker Threshold". 

From JMP Help: When the number of markers in a graph exceeds the
Fast Marker Threshold, the graph’s Marker Drawing
Mode is set to Fast. which draws dot-sized markers.

By default the Fast Marker Threshold is 50000. You can change this in the preferences (File > Preferences > Graph)

Capture.JPG

Dan Obermiller

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Why does JMP Graph Builder sometimes plot tiny dots that ignore the marker settings?

Having an example plot would be helpful so that we can see what you see.

Without the picture, my best guess would be that you have enough data to enact the "Fast Marker Threshold". 

From JMP Help: When the number of markers in a graph exceeds the
Fast Marker Threshold, the graph’s Marker Drawing
Mode is set to Fast. which draws dot-sized markers.

By default the Fast Marker Threshold is 50000. You can change this in the preferences (File > Preferences > Graph)

Capture.JPG

Dan Obermiller
JonathanH
Level I

I'm having the same issue with variability chart.

Something about the Fast Marker Threshold causes the points to be very small. I tried setting it to a negative number and it helped while JMP was kept open. But the next time I closed and opened JMP it returned to 0 and I get again tiny dots.

This is a problem since it means I can't automate my script.

Please help

BHarris
Level VI

Why not just set the setting to a very large number?
JonathanH
Level I

Thanks. I didn't realize I was changing it in the wrong direction. Looks like it resolved my problem.