Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
npignone0
Level I

Which laptop is best for a beginner?

Hi all,

I am a novice with the JMP Pro software. I would like to gain some insight on an affordable laptop that I can run the program in to improve my learning. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

-Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Which laptop is best for a beginner?

In addition to everything shared by @txnelson and @Craige_Hales you will want to check out the system requirements as listed on the JMP System Requirements web page...I presume you are going to work with JMP version 16? Here is a link to the system requirements. Earlier JMP versions are also listed. There is a tab for a Windows OS, and a tab for a Mac OS..to reinforce @txnelson 's comments...don't skimp on RAM...it's a key hardware component that greatly influences the user experience wrt to speed of processing of the computer.

JMP System Requirements 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

A Windows PC will be cheaper than an Apple computer.  But other than that, you need to provide more information about the size and number of the data tables you are going to be analyzing, and the types of analyzes you are going to be doing.  Size and number of tables dictates the amount of ram memory you need, while the complexity of the analyses speaks to the number and speed of the processors you should have.

Jim
Craige_Hales
Super User

JMP opens a lot of windows, so a bigger screen might be helpful.

Craige
P_Bartell
Level VIII

In addition to everything shared by @txnelson and @Craige_Hales you will want to check out the system requirements as listed on the JMP System Requirements web page...I presume you are going to work with JMP version 16? Here is a link to the system requirements. Earlier JMP versions are also listed. There is a tab for a Windows OS, and a tab for a Mac OS..to reinforce @txnelson 's comments...don't skimp on RAM...it's a key hardware component that greatly influences the user experience wrt to speed of processing of the computer.

JMP System Requirements 

npignone0
Level I

I'd like to thank all three of you for taking the time to supply input on my original question. I didn't provide much detail regarding the specifics of what kind/how much data I'll be working with- so thank you @txnelson for giving me some guidelines to base my decision on.

Additionally, thank you @Craige_Hales for including the emphasis of a bigger screen. This led me to the idea of screen mirroring with my tv monitor to give me a larger space to work with.

@P_Bartell The attachment of the system requirements was something I didn't consider at all and will be something I rely upon as I make my final decision.

Thank you all!