cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Kelly
Level III

When I save a dashboard, can I associate it with multiple data tables?

I have a jsl script that can automatically generate a dashboard containing plots from multiple data tables. I would like to save the dashboards to view later without running the jsl script again. Currently, when I save the dashboard as a report it offers to either reference or embed the data table to the dashboard, (but only for the current data table). The rest of the data tables do not have that option. When I run the dashboard later on, since only one table is linked, only the plots from that data table show up. How can I associate multiple tables when saving my dashboard?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: When I save a dashboard, can I associate it with multiple data tables?

It sounds like you are creating a custom report using New Window() rather than creating a JMP Dashboard using the Dashboard Builder.  If that is the case, if you look at the contents of the JRP file, it basically looks like this:

New Table( "name",
) << Run Formulas;
New Window( "report 2",
	H List Box(
	)
);

In other words, it is really just trying to rewrite your script for you, and running your original script is probably a better solution for several reasons.  Lack of support for multiple tables is one, but there are other things that may be done in your script that cannot be fully captured by looking at the static report.

You may want to consider creating a journal (Ctrl-J on Windows) of the report window and saving the journal.  A journal of the report will not be fully interactive, but it also does not require any tables to be open in order to show the content.

The response would be very similar for a JMP Dashboard - the Dashboard Builder will better handle the multiple data table issue (although it does not have an "embed" option - it can reference tables by path or name).  But if you look at the JRP file for a saved JMP Dashboard, it essentially contains the full JSL definition of the Dashboard:

JMP App(
	Set Name( "Dashboard" ),
	Set Description( "Two reports arranged horizontally" ),
	Dashboard Mode( 1 ),
) << Run;

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: When I save a dashboard, can I associate it with multiple data tables?

It sounds like you are creating a custom report using New Window() rather than creating a JMP Dashboard using the Dashboard Builder.  If that is the case, if you look at the contents of the JRP file, it basically looks like this:

New Table( "name",
) << Run Formulas;
New Window( "report 2",
	H List Box(
	)
);

In other words, it is really just trying to rewrite your script for you, and running your original script is probably a better solution for several reasons.  Lack of support for multiple tables is one, but there are other things that may be done in your script that cannot be fully captured by looking at the static report.

You may want to consider creating a journal (Ctrl-J on Windows) of the report window and saving the journal.  A journal of the report will not be fully interactive, but it also does not require any tables to be open in order to show the content.

The response would be very similar for a JMP Dashboard - the Dashboard Builder will better handle the multiple data table issue (although it does not have an "embed" option - it can reference tables by path or name).  But if you look at the JRP file for a saved JMP Dashboard, it essentially contains the full JSL definition of the Dashboard:

JMP App(
	Set Name( "Dashboard" ),
	Set Description( "Two reports arranged horizontally" ),
	Dashboard Mode( 1 ),
) << Run;