cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lwx228
Level VIII

What is the role of "Freq" in the Partition decision tree model?

Please consult the experts: Are there any examples of how "Freq" plays a role in the decision tree model of "Partition"? I searched for the script and couldn't find it. Thanks!

2020-08-05_20-27.png

11 REPLIES 11

Re: What is the role of "Freq" in the Partition decision tree model?

The frequency role in an analysis ("Freq") is not meant in the sense of time: daily, weekly, monthly, annually. Instead, it is meant in the sense of number of occurrences. It expects a count of the number of rows with the same observation levels. It is not a requirement to use this role. It is a convenience.

Here is an example with each observation of protein on its own row. (Row equals observation)

tall.JPG

I can examine the distribution of Protein with this launch dialog without the Freq role.

tall launch.JPG

I get this platform.

tall result.JPG

But sometimes the data is available as a summary.

short.JPG

I could manually expand this short data table (5 rows) so that each type of protein has the correct number of rows in a tall table (100 rows), but the Freq role does that for me internally.

short launch.JPG

The result is the same because the data is the same.

short result.JPG

So the Freq role is a convenience, a way to let JMP know that this single row represents one or more observations. It is not frequency in the sense of time. It is not a weight. (Each observation still has a weight of 1.)

lwx228
Level VIII

Re: What is the role of "Freq" in the Partition decision tree model?

Thank markbailey!

I would like to see an example of frequency in a decision tree model.And how does using frequency affect the outcome of the decision tree?