cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Variability Gage plot labeling of means

Hello!

Whenever I plot a variability gage plot, I use text boxes in order to label the means displayed in the summary report below the plot. Is there an easier way to quickly create labels?

My only thought on this would be to create a new column to calculate the means of each grouping so that I can then label rows by that new column. However, I have no idea how to "group-by" in the formula editor.

I would hate to have to export the summary report as its own table and then try to join the two tables just for labeling purposes. Seems easier to just add text...

1 REPLY 1
mikedriscoll
Level VI

Re: Variability Gage plot labeling of means

>> I have no idea how to "group-by" in the formula editor.

I didn't either, but by chance this came up last week in the forums. Took me a while to remember where it was (link). I'll post a bit of detail on it but there's a better way, I think.

If you open up the big class.jmp sample data file (jsl code open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\Big Class.jmp"); will open it), then add a column with the following formula, you'll see it contains the average height for each age group.

Formula is: Col Mean(:height, :age). But this is in a new column and won't show up in your variability gauge plot for whatever column (e.g. height) that you're plotting.

I think you might want to skip the formula step, summarize your column(s) by whichever group variable (table -> summary platform, put :mean(height) in stats box, :age in group box, and set stats name column format to 'column' for easy stacking later.

right click green triangle (or red in earlier versions) to edit and view source script:

Data Table( "Big Class" ) << Summary(
	Group( :age ),
	Mean( :height ),
	Freq( "None" ),
	Weight( "None" ),
    statistics column name format( "column" ) )

Stack it

Data Table( "Big Class" ) << Concatenate( Data Table( "Big Class By (age)" ) )

Label the new rows. Label the :height column. Then do your plot. Should work ok.

You can change the marker from a black dot to something less like a data point (colored hozizontal line) so it is clear that these are not actual data points.  (Edit: Exclude, but don't hide, the new rows to keep them from disturbing the valid data points.)

As far as I know there is no easy way to add text to plots.