cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ehchandlerjr
Level V

Using a symbol in place of a column name

Is there a way to make a symbol that is is used in place of a column name? Like in my head, next to the units property, there's a "variable symbol" property that I can put in F for force or C_0 for initial concentration, or whatever, and then that shows up on plots axes and stuff, rather than my over stuffed descriptive column names? I suppose I could write the symbol in the name and write the full name in the notes, but it would be nice to at least have a little indication about the name since I have 200 columns.

Thanks!
Edward Hamer Chandler, Jr.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jthi
Super User

Re: Using a symbol in place of a column name

Most likely a bit similar as Ho to handle cryptic Column names? .

Alternate column name might work? https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/17.1/index.shtml#page/jmp/preferences-for-data-tables.shtml  . It is extremely confusing how it works and it won't allow you selecting which to use though (it is either one or both). But I think you could set your column name to your symbol and then add two properties, Short Name and Long Name, and set those values.

This one creates a table with "long" and short name. Change the preference value to see how those behave

New Table("Untitled 5",
	Add Rows(0),
	Compress File When Saved(1),
	New Column("A",
		Numeric,
		"Continuous",
		Format("Best", 12),
		Set Property("Short Name", A),
		Set Property(
			"Long Name", very long and confusing name which we do not want to use
		),
		Set Values([])
	)
)

Properties

jthi_1-1707486519690.png

Disabled

jthi_0-1707486509756.png

Enabled

jthi_2-1707486530894.png

-Jarmo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ehchandlerjr
Level V

*this comment was an edit before I figured out how to edit the post, and now I can't delete this comment

jthi
Super User

Most likely a bit similar as Ho to handle cryptic Column names? .

Alternate column name might work? https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/17.1/index.shtml#page/jmp/preferences-for-data-tables.shtml  . It is extremely confusing how it works and it won't allow you selecting which to use though (it is either one or both). But I think you could set your column name to your symbol and then add two properties, Short Name and Long Name, and set those values.

This one creates a table with "long" and short name. Change the preference value to see how those behave

New Table("Untitled 5",
	Add Rows(0),
	Compress File When Saved(1),
	New Column("A",
		Numeric,
		"Continuous",
		Format("Best", 12),
		Set Property("Short Name", A),
		Set Property(
			"Long Name", very long and confusing name which we do not want to use
		),
		Set Values([])
	)
)

Properties

jthi_1-1707486519690.png

Disabled

jthi_0-1707486509756.png

Enabled

jthi_2-1707486530894.png

-Jarmo
hogi
Level XI

Thanks @jthi for decrypting the info.

somehow useful

• almost what one needs to improve  How to handle cryptic Column names? .
    if there was an option to only display the alternative name
  • unfortunately, Filter doesn't search for alternative names
  • [complicated symbols have to be encapsulated as "complicate-name"n]
ehchandlerjr
Level V

Yea that is very confusing. Had to play around with it. So as far as I can tell, you have to have the same string in the column name and either of the short or long name (or, incedentally, both). If all three are different, then it fails. Seems to be a rather round-about way to do it when you could easily have just a bunch of names (even a list, like the value order property is set up). Kinda weird.

How did you get the second column name to pop up at the top of the column? That's what I couldn't get to work from your solution.

jthi
Super User

Pop up at the top of column? Do you mean by the side? I enabled the preference "Show Alternate Column Name"

jthi_0-1707662363478.png

One fairly nice thing is that the long name can be seen when column header is hovered over (if that setting is enabled). It can also show note separately

jthi_1-1707662447022.png

This is definitely not the best way how this could be handled. I think it might be a time to start working on JMP table metadata add-in...

-Jarmo