cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Updating JMP Data Tables

In September, I posted a question about updating JMP Data Tables, but got no replies.  However, I was able to figure it out and feel that others might have the same problem.  The Tables<Update works fine if you have changed existing data in your master data table.  However, if you add rows of data to the bottom of your master table, the new data will not update.   This was driving me crazy until I tried adding blank rows to the JMP Data Table that I wished to update from the master.  Then, the Tables<Update function works fine.  Of course, you can always just copy and paste the new data.

I hope this helps someone out there!

Maybe this is an enhancement that needs to be included in the next JMP update.

Steve
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Steven_Moore
Level VI

Re: Updating JMP Data Tables

My whole post did not appear.  To update a JMP Data Table when you have rows of data to be added from the master file, you have to add blank rows to the Data Table first, or nothing will happen.  Otherwise, the Tables<Update function only updates previously existing data that have been changed.

Steve

View solution in original post

txnelson
Super User

I believe that you can bypass the requirement to add new blank rows, if instead of using an "Update" you use a "Join", matching same name columns and specifying to keep all rows from the master table, even if it finds no match.

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Steven_Moore
Level VI

My whole post did not appear.  To update a JMP Data Table when you have rows of data to be added from the master file, you have to add blank rows to the Data Table first, or nothing will happen.  Otherwise, the Tables<Update function only updates previously existing data that have been changed.

Steve
txnelson
Super User

I believe that you can bypass the requirement to add new blank rows, if instead of using an "Update" you use a "Join", matching same name columns and specifying to keep all rows from the master table, even if it finds no match.

Jim