cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JMP_Student
Level I

Trouble formatting date from DMY to MDY

Hi,

I'm using JMP 12 and trying to change my date column from d/m/y to m/d/y, but the format does not seem to be working. It just keeps the date as 04/06/2018 instead of changing it to 06/04/2018. Ultimately, I want to be able to use the date in m/d/y to convert it into the day of year. Is there any way to fix this issue or another way to change the date from d/m/y to m/d/y?

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
twillkickers
Level III

Re: Trouble formatting date from DMY to MDY

If you would like, you could create a formula column that reformats d/m/y to m/d/y. So in your "New Column" window, you would go to column properties, and select formula. Then you would use the formula

Format(Date, "d/m/y")

The new column will have the date formatted the way you want. Hope this helps.

cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Trouble formatting date from DMY to MDY

There is a Day of Year() function and that does not require the data to be formatted in any specific way.  Underlying all date/time formats is an integer of the number of seconds elapsed since midnight, January 1, 1904.  All date/time functions in JMP work based on that underlying value.  However, it is curious that applying a different date format to the column has no effect.  Can you verify that toggling between m/d/y and d/m/y really does not change the table?  If that is the case, try restarting JMP.  If that doesn't help, you need to call JMP Tech Support.

-- Cameron Willden