cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
pen51
Level I

Transparent window / screenshot

Is there a way to open a "transparent window" in JMP? The goal is to effectively take a screenshot of a segment of the screen, then place points on the image that was taken. Sort of like a snipping tool, but all in a JMP window. I have a script where I can open and image and do the same thing, but is there a way to take the image straight from the screen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Transparent window / screenshot

It makes sense that the Python code would store the screen shot as a .png (most likely) or .jpg (maybe). The python code needs to communicate the name of the file it saved back to JMP, or simpler, maybe JMP can tell the Python program where to save the screen shot. That would typically be done with command line options you could pass in with RunProgram.

The next step is to load the saved file in JMP; you can use

img = newimage("c:/...screenshot.png");

to open the image and

newwindow("captured image", img);

to display it, and

matrix = img<<getpixels;

to grab the pixels into a matrix you can work with.

Craige

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
pen51
Level I

Bumping this... Any ideas out there?

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what you're trying to do. Can you give some more context and describe it differently?

-Jeff
pen51
Level I

I want to be able to perform image analysis on a "screenshot" of the screen. You could always take a screenshot, save the image, then open it in JMP. Instead of having to do this, is there a way to take directly from what is on the screen and analyze that in JMP? It would be bypassing the save and open step.

The best example I could think of was with the snipping tool, where you "snip" from the screen, then what you snipped is open in a new window. (Sorry for the screen-ception below)

snippingtool.pngsnippingtoolwindow.png

Craige_Hales
Super User

Have not tried this... Windows power shell script claims to take a picture. You could run this PS script from JMP using RunProgram(). There is probably a similar capability on MAC.

Here's a Python version that might work on Win and Mac. Again, using RunProgram() to run the external program.

RunProgram and Python question.

Craige
pen51
Level I

Great, thank you, Craige! I used the Python script, and it opens an image just in photos. Do you know of any way to specify to open it in a JSL window from the Python code? I'm not clear with how the Python-JSL relationship works. Can you go back and forth between the codes? My understanding of it now from browsing the forum is that the JSL script will run, then the Python will and finish before the next part of the JSL begins.

Craige_Hales
Super User

It makes sense that the Python code would store the screen shot as a .png (most likely) or .jpg (maybe). The python code needs to communicate the name of the file it saved back to JMP, or simpler, maybe JMP can tell the Python program where to save the screen shot. That would typically be done with command line options you could pass in with RunProgram.

The next step is to load the saved file in JMP; you can use

img = newimage("c:/...screenshot.png");

to open the image and

newwindow("captured image", img);

to display it, and

matrix = img<<getpixels;

to grab the pixels into a matrix you can work with.

Craige