cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hogi
Level XI

Thousands separator

it needs a workaround to find out the option use Thousands Separator is set for a column or not:
interrogate Use Thousands Separator using JSL 

But even if i the option is actually set, not all numbers show the Thousands Separator:

hogi_0-1711084783050.png

why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hardner
Level V

Re: Thousands separator

Just FYI a colleague was pointing out the same thing to me today (also with many digit numbers) but in the number col box.

Another oddity: the number col box (where it relates to a column at all, my example was the table made by Process Screening) uses only the overall preference for tables, it does not match a checkbox set just for that column. 

@hogi  What I see is that if I check Use Thousands Separator on a column that had started with width 12, it updates automatically to width 13. That will only give room for one separator on the largest numbers it could contain before.  so bigger numbers don't show separator.  Then if I change width to be much larger they can appear.

Also, are you in Switzerland?  I was counting it as an amazing fun fact that this week in the process of all this about thousands separators I learned that there are places where you use ones other than . or , and that Switzerland uses apostrophe and then your example has that. I don't think I'd ever seen that before!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
hardner
Level V

Just FYI a colleague was pointing out the same thing to me today (also with many digit numbers) but in the number col box.

Another oddity: the number col box (where it relates to a column at all, my example was the table made by Process Screening) uses only the overall preference for tables, it does not match a checkbox set just for that column. 

@hogi  What I see is that if I check Use Thousands Separator on a column that had started with width 12, it updates automatically to width 13. That will only give room for one separator on the largest numbers it could contain before.  so bigger numbers don't show separator.  Then if I change width to be much larger they can appear.

Also, are you in Switzerland?  I was counting it as an amazing fun fact that this week in the process of all this about thousands separators I learned that there are places where you use ones other than . or , and that Switzerland uses apostrophe and then your example has that. I don't think I'd ever seen that before!

hogi
Level XI

Ah, sure. width!
when you see it ...

As I am working with 95% data with point as decimal separator and some data with comma separator, I thought it's a good idea to use "something else" as thousands separator