cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Have your say in shaping JMP's future by participating in the new JMP Wish List Prioritization Survey
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
david707
Level III

Syntax and meaning of numbers in a DispatchSeg( Hist Seg( 1 ), Bin Span( x, y ) ) command

Hi,

I am trying to adjust the bin sizes of the histogram in a oneway analysis report, I am aware that this has been asked and answered before and you need to use:

DispatchSeg( Hist Seg( 1 ), Bin Span( x, y )) 

However, previous answers say to look at the scripting index for more information, and I cannot find anything about this on the scripting index.

I cannot figure out how x and y actually relate to the bin sizes, and how to get the sensible bin sizes I want.

Can someone please clarify exactly how x and y effect the bin sizes?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Syntax and meaning of numbers in a DispatchSeg( Hist Seg( 1 ), Bin Span( x, y ) ) command

Through a bit of trial and error, I've come to the conclusion that Bin Span (x, y) works out to:

x = the size of each bin; same function as using the hand tool and dragging horizontally

y = the offset of each bin; same function as using the hand tool and dragging vertically

(This holds true for the ANOVA platform--I didn't check with other histograms)

The code below demonstrates this with the Big Class sample file.

Names Default To Here (1);

dt = open ("$SAMPLE_DATA/big class.jmp");

//a bin for each data point
Oneway(
	Y( :weight ),
	X( :age ),
	Histograms( 1 ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Oneway Report",
			FrameBox,
			{DispatchSeg( Hist Seg( 1 ), Bin Span( 1, 0 ) )}
		)
	)
);
//huge bin
Oneway(
	Histograms( 1 ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Oneway Report",
			FrameBox,
			{DispatchSeg( Hist Seg( 1 ), Bin Span( 100, 0 ) )}
		)
	)
);

//medium bins with some offset
Oneway(
	Histograms( 1 ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Oneway Report",
			FrameBox,
			{DispatchSeg( Hist Seg( 1 ), Bin Span( 10, 50 ) )}
		)
	)
);

david707
Level III

Re: Syntax and meaning of numbers in a DispatchSeg( Hist Seg( 1 ), Bin Span( x, y ) ) command

I guess my question is how does "size" relate to the data set and/or axis?

It seems really arbitrary with different data sets and axis.

Size 10 might look great on one graph and terrible on another.

>>It seems really arbitrary with different data sets and axis.

I completely agree. This Wikipedia article has about 10 different "rules of thumb" for determining bin sizes. In my experience, I've generally just accepted what JMP offers, and if I have questions about the shape, I switch to a Shadowgram, which avoids the bin size question altogether.