cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
arianpk
Level I

Survival analysis, survival (time to event) estimate probability not accessible

Background: Looking at a progressive disease process on which we intervened surgically. All but 2 patients (out of 50) went on to experience disease progression while the remainder had resolution and/or halting of their disease progression at time of follow-up (i.e. successful surgical outcome). I am attempting to obtain a KM curve for the success of this surgical intervention with respect to time. My goal is to provide a meaningful outcome that describes how successful the surgery is in halting disease progression and for how long and with what level of confidence can we report this. I recognize lack of control group but this is separate conversation and innate limitation of the disease process which will be discussed in our paper.

Currently I have my data setup as: Event = disease progression. Since all but two subjects experienced the event, it means the group is composed primarily of right-censored subjects. Very few were lost to follow-up or deceased, but of course they too were censored. Is this setup correct? My resulting KM curve is essentially two small steps early in timeline followed by a flat line through to end of the study period. It just appears strange having so many right-censored subjects. Is there a more appropriate way to represent this data? If this is in fact correct, I would like to provide "survival probability estimate" at given points in time (i.e. what is probability of being progression-free (successful surgery) at x point in time). However on JMP this feature is for some reason grayed out/inaccessible from the red triangle drop down. Any reason this is the case? How would I perform that calculation?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Survival analysis, survival (time to event) estimate probability not accessible

Yes, your setup is correct. One could argue that the patients who left the study constitute truncated, not censored, data.

The two steps are also correct. The non-parametric estimate remains constant until another exact life observation is encountered.

You must fit a model to obtain the probability versus time. I recommend a Weibull or a Log Normal distribution model. JMP can do all the models and use a criterion to select the best model, but this data-driven approach is risky when you only have two exact lifetimes.

Here is an example. I used the :weight data column in the Big Class data table and pretended it was lifetime data. I added a Censor column with 1 in all but two rows, so only two exact lifetimes. I launched Life Distribution and selected the Weibull model and scale. You can use the distribution profiler to the right to estimate failure probability for a given time.

weibull.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Survival analysis, survival (time to event) estimate probability not accessible

Yes, your setup is correct. One could argue that the patients who left the study constitute truncated, not censored, data.

The two steps are also correct. The non-parametric estimate remains constant until another exact life observation is encountered.

You must fit a model to obtain the probability versus time. I recommend a Weibull or a Log Normal distribution model. JMP can do all the models and use a criterion to select the best model, but this data-driven approach is risky when you only have two exact lifetimes.

Here is an example. I used the :weight data column in the Big Class data table and pretended it was lifetime data. I added a Censor column with 1 in all but two rows, so only two exact lifetimes. I launched Life Distribution and selected the Weibull model and scale. You can use the distribution profiler to the right to estimate failure probability for a given time.

weibull.PNG

arianpk
Level I

Thank you, this was incredibly helpful! Using the above, I was able to provide progression-free estimates at 1, 3 and 5 years using the Weibull model and scale.

I have an additional question regarding this same data set. My time to event data can be grouped by disease stage (Stage A, B and C). I am able to comment that the distribution of the time to event data did not differ across groups based on logrank test. A reviewer has asked that I "report the difference in time to event as a function of stage with Hazard ratio as the effect size and 95% CI around the HR for Stage B and Stage C". I personally interpreted this as a request for Cox regression hazard ratio analysis with stage A as the reference group. I used the Fit Proportional Hazards module for this and selected "risk ratio" (which based on a quick search is equivalent to hazard ratio in JMP). Is this setup correct? If this is correct, the primary issue is that my Stage B group did not have any events. As such, I am getting an HR of 0.00 and CI with minimum 5.48E-06 and maximum 3.38E+266!! Clearly this is a degenerate estimate but not sure if any workaround or how I would go about interpreting or reporting this value? With so few events in each group (n=1 for Stage A, and n=1 for Stage C), I recognize that it is hard to draw meaningful conclusions from any of these values but any help would be greatly appreciated!

peng_liu
Staff

@Mark_Bailey brought this thread to my attention. Before I continue, I need to disclose that I don't have experience in medical or clinical fields. My opinion is based on my experience in a related field, reliability data analysis. Here are some thoughts:

1. In the field of reliability data analysis, if there are two few events, there are two approaches to address the situation: (1) obtain a conservative estimate which means the reliability (equivalent name to survival in a different field) is likely underestimating the truth (2) use Bayesian approach to incorporate additional information. But I don't see either options are feasible to you, since they are both parametric approaches in JMP. KME is a nonparametric model. If there are nonparametric approaches to address few events in the field of medical and clinical, that is beyond my current expertise.
  2. Proportional Hazard model is a semi-parametric model. But if you have too few events, you face the same difficulty. And I don't see what JMP currently offers can address the challenge.

Please conduct a research on situations like this in the relevant fields. If we have experts on this subject in the community, I hope they can spot this post and chime in.