Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Ifrit109
Level I

Subtraction in Column Formula Slow

Hello!

If I use analyze>tabulate>mean, then jmp 14 can take my 3 million rows and get a summary in about 15 seconds. 

If I try to subtract column A from column B using a column formula, it takes 3+ hours. 

How can I do a workaround to increase calculation speed? some sort of JSL? 

I could just pull it into python but jmp should be able to handle subtraction! 

Thanks for your help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Subtraction in Column Formula Slow

Are there platforms (distribution, etc) open or subsets linked to the table while the formula is running? Possibly the platforms are updating as the formula progresses.

If you are scripting, dt<<runformulas will run in the foreground (faster).

Craige

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

Running Windows 11 and JMP 17.2, I created a data table with 2 columns of 3,000,000 rows and then added a new column with the formula

- :a

and the calculation of the formula row is virtually instantaneous.

txnelson_0-1696387526840.png

Can you provide more specifics of your issue that might provide some insights? 

Jim
dale_lehman
Level VII

I am also running Windows 11 and JMP 17.2 and I used a data file with 6 million rows and both tabulate and the formula column calculate almost instantly (1 second).  I suspect it is your hardware - on my older machines, things used to take much longer.  15 seconds sounds too long for the tabulate.  But I don't know if it is hardware, JMP 14 (which I no longer have to test), or a combination of the two.

txnelson
Super User

I ran the same test on JMP 14 and while it was slightly slower, it did the subtraction in less than a second

Jim
Craige_Hales
Super User

Are there platforms (distribution, etc) open or subsets linked to the table while the formula is running? Possibly the platforms are updating as the formula progresses.

If you are scripting, dt<<runformulas will run in the foreground (faster).

Craige
Ifrit109
Level I

Thanks Craig and everyone else for your input. 

I did have a linked table open. Closed it and the math finished instantly, as expected!