Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Lex
Lex
Level I

Spec limit, capability analysis

I am attempting to define a measurement target using JMP, in other words a spec limit.  I recall in my past work using minitab decades ago, the capability function was helpful and it actually produced a USL. How would you approach in setting a target via JMP?  I've reviewed the distribution, control chart, and capability analysis in JMP 14. I realize I need to brush up on a few things and appreciate any questions or comments on how to go about.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Spec limit, capability analysis

Specification limits are set by the user, not JMP, generally as an option in the Column Information/Properties section of each variable. The notion of a software program...any program Minitab, JMP or even the vaunted Excel, determining specification limits is nonsense. I suggest reviewing a good book on Statistical Process Control and Capability Analysis. A good place to start is Don Wheeler's Book, "Understanding Variation The Key to Managing Chaos."

For specifics on JMP's capabilities in this space I suggest perusing the JMP Online Documentation pertaining to Process Capability. Details for pathways to setting specification limits in JMP are within. You are running version 14...this documentation is for version 16 so some of what you see might not reside in your version...but the basics have been in JMP since probably version 4 or so...

Process Capability in JMP 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
P_Bartell
Level VIII

Re: Spec limit, capability analysis

Specification limits are set by the user, not JMP, generally as an option in the Column Information/Properties section of each variable. The notion of a software program...any program Minitab, JMP or even the vaunted Excel, determining specification limits is nonsense. I suggest reviewing a good book on Statistical Process Control and Capability Analysis. A good place to start is Don Wheeler's Book, "Understanding Variation The Key to Managing Chaos."

For specifics on JMP's capabilities in this space I suggest perusing the JMP Online Documentation pertaining to Process Capability. Details for pathways to setting specification limits in JMP are within. You are running version 14...this documentation is for version 16 so some of what you see might not reside in your version...but the basics have been in JMP since probably version 4 or so...

Process Capability in JMP