cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
BigMoney8
Level I

Source formulas for output data

How do I get JMP to display (or send me to the help page for) the formulas used to generate the columns or outputs after analysis?  For example, I'm analyzing some time series data and it will output time series graphs, but I want to know what formulas it is using and that is not always evident.  

I'm using the student version of JMP with data that is monthly time series by row.  I select Analyze>Specialized Modeling>Time Series.  Add dependent variable in Y, Time Series.  Add the independent variable to the Input List section.  I leave X, Time Series blank because my time periods are by rows of my data so I shouldn't need it.  It will spit out the basic time series plot and Augmented Dickey Fuller (ADF) values.  If I select the Red Arrow by Transfer Function Analysis, and choose Cross Correlation it will output what I think is a graph of the Pearson's r values at each lag.  But I want to verify it is Pearson's r and not some other value like Kendall, Spearman, etc.  The column title of the values is actually Corr vs. Input (where Input is the data title for the variable I chose for the Input List).  I think this means the value is the Pearson's r for the dataset of the Y variable given the Input variables, but want to verify.

This actually applies to some of the other wizards I'm using in JMP as well.  I am making assumptions about what it is calculating based on the name of the menu selection, but for some of these I'd like to verify.  Is there an easy way to do this specifically for the Cross Correlation capability described above but also just in general for any JMP data outputs?

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: Source formulas for output data

Select the "?" tool from the tool bar and then click on the item you want information on, and it will bring up the help page.

Jim
BigMoney8
Level I

Thanks!  I've done that and get this page: https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/17.0/#page/jmp/differencing-and-decomposition.shtml?os=win&sourc...

The help page does not explicitly list the formulas used to create the outputs.  Was curious if there is a way to view the actual formulas used in the calculations.  Some of the other help pages do explicitly list the formulas used.  

I've also found another page that implies it defaults to Pearson's r for this particular data output: https://www.jmp.com/support/downloads/JMPG81_documentation/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=PR...

But I'd really like to be able to view the actual formula used to generate the outputs, either the theoretical one or even better if its by column name for my data set.  

txnelson
Super User

I suggest you go to the JMP Documentation Library.  Each of the Platforms is documented in the subject area manual for the topic.  And, the Statistical Details is typically listed there.

Help=>JMP Documentation Library

Jim