cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
QualEng79
Level I

Sorting data table by row color

Hello JMP users

I am relatively new to JMP and i believe what i have attempted today should have been done in excel but alas. I am currently analyzing complaint data in JMP, and I have labeled my data table rows by color based on certain criteria (specific content i was looking for in a complaint description). I have three different colors.

Now i realize there is no easy way to filter, sort, or tabulate simply based on row color. Seems unnecessarily complex - but again i should have done this in excel. I realize in order to sort this way i probably need to create a column with a formula which converts the row color data to another type of data. Im not clear on how to do this. Anyone have an example of such formula? Basically what i would want to do is  perhaps conver the color i selected (ie red) to "Yes" , or something similar. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Sorting data table by row color

If you use this formula in a new column, it will return the JMP color number for the row.  from there you can set your values.

Color Of( Row State( Row() ) )

Depending on the colors you chose, it may provide a pretty big negative number......but you just have to know what the numbers are, and then use it appropriately

If(Color Of( Row State( Row() ) ) == -13912408, "Good",
color Of( Row State( Row() ) ) == -4042310, "OK",
"Bad")

You can also just create a new column with the Modeling Type of "RowState".  Then in the columns panel on the left of the data table, you can right click on the red star next to the new RowState column you created, and select " Copy from RowStates".  You will then have a column you can sort, etc.

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

If you use this formula in a new column, it will return the JMP color number for the row.  from there you can set your values.

Color Of( Row State( Row() ) )

Depending on the colors you chose, it may provide a pretty big negative number......but you just have to know what the numbers are, and then use it appropriately

If(Color Of( Row State( Row() ) ) == -13912408, "Good",
color Of( Row State( Row() ) ) == -4042310, "OK",
"Bad")

You can also just create a new column with the Modeling Type of "RowState".  Then in the columns panel on the left of the data table, you can right click on the red star next to the new RowState column you created, and select " Copy from RowStates".  You will then have a column you can sort, etc.

Jim
QualEng79
Level I

that worked, thank you so much, you saved me a lot of pain! @txnelson