Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
AT
AT
Level V

Show data points in histogram

Hi,

I like to show particular data point(colored) in histogram using the Analyze, Distributions. I can show points using graph builder but not through analyze.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Show data points in histogram

You will not be able to display the data points using the histogram in the Distribution Platform, however you can run the Distribution Platform, selecting to not display the Histogram, and then run the Graph Builder Histogram.  You can either leave it in separate windows, or put the outputs into one window.

Jim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
txnelson
Super User

You will not be able to display the data points using the histogram in the Distribution Platform, however you can run the Distribution Platform, selecting to not display the Histogram, and then run the Graph Builder Histogram.  You can either leave it in separate windows, or put the outputs into one window.

Jim
AT
AT
Level V

Thanks Jim. I just noticed that if the point is an outlier, it will be displayed on the outlier box plot with the histogram. Showing point on histogram would be a good option to have for future JMP.

Regards,
Adam

txnelson
Super User

I suggest you add your futures request to the JMP Wish List

Jim
Frogger
Level II

Hi Txnelson et al,

@txnelson, I wonder if advancement has been made in this purview with new JMP versions? I am running V 16. My need is similar, but slightly different....

I have distributions of data displayed in histograms. The reference study for my data did not provide raw data or distributions merely descriptive statistics.  I have the mean, median, and S.D. of the sample. I would like to show my distributions then overlay, superimpose, or stack the mean/median estimate and S.D. of the reference study data. Any ideas?  

To save space a subset of the data is attached. I also attach a .jpg of each plot to show the distributions I created and am referencing. 

The "subset..." data set is the distributions of my simulation data and what I used to plot the distributions. 

The "Residency data for main vs off..." is the descriptive statistics I pulled from the reference study (i.e. observed fish) and my simulated fish. the .jpg titled "Final Figure..." is a plot of the reference study and my data side by side with median and S.D. being plotted.

Ideally I turn these points with S.D. on their side and plot them on top of the histograms to allow viewers to inspect the distributions of each data set in one figure and see the distribution of my simulated data against the mean/median and S.D. of the reference study. 

Any ideas how I might accomplish this? I appreciate your continued help with this one. The splitting/subset trick and bubble plots you led me to in a different thread was greatly insightful. Thank you.  

Final Figure _ Off channel Median Residency data - Graph BuilderFinal Figure _ Off channel Median Residency data - Graph Builder

Subset of Main plus off channel data 2 - Graph BuilderSubset of Main plus off channel data 2 - Graph Builder

txnelson
Super User

Given that you only have the Mean and Standard Deviation it is pretty tough to generate a histogram unless you can identify what the population distribution is.  If the distribution shape is known, normal, chi square, etc. you can simulate the data based upon the mean and std.

Jim
Frogger
Level II

Thanks @txnelson,

A little miscommunication. I intend to generate a histogram distribution of my data and want to superimpose a mean and SD of the reference dataset on top of my data set. Attached is a photoshopped version of what I hope to do, but would rather have the capacity to do it in JMP.

Photo of Mean Off chanel vs main channelPhoto of Mean Off chanel vs main channel