Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
dqr2
Level IV

Setting the R_HOME environment variable for different users

Hi,

I have a JSL script that's calling an R routine.  To run it, I'm setting an environment variable called R_HOME to the location into which R (currently version 3.2.2) has been installed.  The syntax is:

Set Environment Variable("R_HOME", "C:\whatever the path is on my laptop\R-3.2.2");

Everything works; no problem.  However, I need to deploy this script to a number of other users, each of whom could well have (a) put the R package somewhere else, and (b) installed it under a different name - most obviously if a new version of R is released, and they install it with the default name of the new version number.  It seems to me this presents me with a problem, because I don't know what to set the R_HOME environment variable to for anyone else but me.

Is there any way I can search for the most recent version of R - whatever it is - on the other users' machines, and then set the environment variable accordingly?  Or will I have to insist that every user gives their R directory exactly the same name, and to put it in a specific location which I specify?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

Re: Setting the R_HOME environment variable for different users

JMP should automatically find the R_HOME environment variable.  The following is taken from the JMP Scripting Guide

How JMP Finds R

JMP delays loading R until a JSL-based script requires access to it. When JMP needs to load R, it follows the standard steps for finding R on a Windows computer: 1. Look up the environment variable R_HOME. If the variable exists, load R from the specified directory. 2. If the environment variable R_HOME does not exist, look up the InstallPath value in the Windows registry under the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R For 32-bit JMP running on a 64-bit machine, the InstallPath value is under the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\R-core\R If the InstallPath value exists, load R from the specified directory. 3. If the InstallPath value does not exist, an error message states that R could not be found.

If R is installed correctly, it will set the R_HOME environment variable, so your colleagues should not have an issue running your script, as long as you don't override the R_HOME environment variable.

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
txnelson
Super User

JMP should automatically find the R_HOME environment variable.  The following is taken from the JMP Scripting Guide

How JMP Finds R

JMP delays loading R until a JSL-based script requires access to it. When JMP needs to load R, it follows the standard steps for finding R on a Windows computer: 1. Look up the environment variable R_HOME. If the variable exists, load R from the specified directory. 2. If the environment variable R_HOME does not exist, look up the InstallPath value in the Windows registry under the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\R-core\R For 32-bit JMP running on a 64-bit machine, the InstallPath value is under the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\R-core\R If the InstallPath value exists, load R from the specified directory. 3. If the InstallPath value does not exist, an error message states that R could not be found.

If R is installed correctly, it will set the R_HOME environment variable, so your colleagues should not have an issue running your script, as long as you don't override the R_HOME environment variable.

Jim

View solution in original post

Highlighted
dqr2
Level IV

Thanks Jim - it looks like this particular problem is simply going to vanish when the time comes to deploy it, which is great news.

Many thanks,

David

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.