cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ngodfrey
Level II

Set Formula Loop - Using a column string & variable

I have two variables that are used to define 15 columns total. They are a = {"1", "2", "3", "4", "5"} and b = {"1", "2", "3"}. Currently there are 15 columns that are already created with the notation of Column("11"), Column("12"), Column("13"), Column("21"), aka Column(b[1] || a[1]), Column(b[1] || a[2]), etc...

I averaged the first 6 rows of those 15 existing columns and placed it into an array of size 15. I called this array "ave".

So ave[1] would be the average of the first 6 rows in Column("11"), ave[2] would be the average of the first 6 rows in Column("12"), etc...

Now, what I would like to do is create 15 new columns prefixed with "D" using both 'a' & 'b' arrays. Also, have a formula set for those columns that takes the existing column - the average 6 rows of that column.

For example, the formula for Column("D11") would be the following:

:Name("11") - ave[1]

Column("D12") would be the following:

:Name("12") - ave[2]

My Code:

index = 1;
For( i = 3, i > 0, i--, For( j = 5, j > 0, j--, at << Add Multiple Columns( "D" || b[i] || a[j], 1, numeric, continuous, ); F = Eval Expr(expr(ave[index])); Column( "D" || b[i] || a[j] ) << Set Formula( :Name("11")-Name Expr(F) ); index = index + 1; ); );

The code above does not work when I attempt to increment the index variable through the 15 averaged values stored in "ave". The other problem is I need to iterate through :Name("11"), :Name("12"), etc. through all combinations of a & b in the formula. I almost need a way to set the formula in the following manner:

:Name(b[i] || a[i])

However, :Name must use a string with quotes between them and won't let you do it that way.

I tried multiple methods with parse, eval, etc. but with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Set Formula Loop - Using a column string & variable

Here is a piece of JSL that will work.  It uses a method where the exact character string of what the required command needs to be is generated, and then Eval(Parse()) to run the code

index = 1;
;
For( i = 3, i > 0, i--,
	For( j = 5, j > 0, j--,
		Eval(
			Parse(
				"at << New Column(\!"D" || b[i] || a[j] ||
				"\!",1,numeric,continuous,Formula( :Name( \!""
				 || Char( index + 10 ) || "\!" ) - " || Char( ave[index] ) || "));"
			)
		);
		index = index + 1;
	);
);
Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

Re: Set Formula Loop - Using a column string & variable

Here is a piece of JSL that will work.  It uses a method where the exact character string of what the required command needs to be is generated, and then Eval(Parse()) to run the code

index = 1;
;
For( i = 3, i > 0, i--,
	For( j = 5, j > 0, j--,
		Eval(
			Parse(
				"at << New Column(\!"D" || b[i] || a[j] ||
				"\!",1,numeric,continuous,Formula( :Name( \!""
				 || Char( index + 10 ) || "\!" ) - " || Char( ave[index] ) || "));"
			)
		);
		index = index + 1;