cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
A_J
A_J
Level I

Sending OBDC Data Source connection with Add-in or Creating it through JSL

Hi all, 

I am trying to create an Add-in that pulls data from an SQL Server as data source, and I would need to distribute this Add-in to other users.

The Add-in works perfectly, but the OBDC connection used by the Add-in is not being sent with it. Unfortunately, not everyone would be able/know how to create an OBDC connection to the SQL server in an easy way. 

Does anyone know how I could either send the OBDC connection with the Add-in file, or re-create this OBDC connection through a JSL script? 

Thanks for the help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Sending OBDC Data Source connection with Add-in or Creating it through JSL

If you only need to access SQL databases from windows, or if the user has a SQL odbc driver installed then this this might work without configuring a DSN on the client machine:

New SQL Query(
	Connection(
		"ODBC:DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=sqlserverhostname\sqlinstancename;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=JMP;DATABASE=sqldatabasename;"
	),
	CustomSQL( "SELECT TOP 10 * FROM [sqldatabasename].[schema].[table]" ) // database/schema names are not necessary
) << Run

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

If you only need to access SQL databases from windows, or if the user has a SQL odbc driver installed then this this might work without configuring a DSN on the client machine:

New SQL Query(
	Connection(
		"ODBC:DRIVER=SQL Server;SERVER=sqlserverhostname\sqlinstancename;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=JMP;DATABASE=sqldatabasename;"
	),
	CustomSQL( "SELECT TOP 10 * FROM [sqldatabasename].[schema].[table]" ) // database/schema names are not necessary
) << Run

A_J
A_J
Level I

It seems to work like a charm :) 

Still I might need to find out a way to get the SQL OBDC driver installed if they are missing this, but it is defenetly saving me from the DSN. 

I was trying to do it using Open Database() as below, but your solution gets rid of the DSN.

Thanks!

Open Database(
 "DSN=sqldatasource;Description=sqlescription;Trusted_Connection=Yes;APP=JMP;WSID=sqlserverhostname;DATABASE=databasename;",
 "SELECT * FROM [sqldatabasename].[schema].[table]");

pmroz
Super User

I have faced a similar problem with ODBC connection to an Oracle database.

Each user will need an SQL server ODBC driver installed.  As @ih mentioned you can probably figure out a way to connect without a named data source (DSN).

Our users access a server version of JMP running on the Citrix platform.  So I only needed to install the addin + database drivers once.