cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
KST-CPT
Level II

Select Where on Dates

I am trying to create a subset of a data set.  I want to select the dates outside of my start and end dates for analysis, then exclude such dates.  Not sure why this is not working, seems easy.  I think it is number format issues?

I have StartDate and EndDate as dates from CalendarBox()

:Date is a column with numeric dates in format m/d/y.

I have tried this to no success:

BegTime = dt<< Subset(All rows, Selected columns only( 0 ) );
BegTime << Select Where(:Date < Informat(StartDate) |:Date > Informat(EndDate))<<Exclude;));

To check the columns I tried this (below) but did not get a result.  Just ".

BegTime <<new column("blah", numeric, formula(
num(:Date) - num(StartDate);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Select Where on Dates

I think your issue is that you are thinking that StartDate and EndDate are numeric dates.  The way you have constructed your code, StartDate and EndDate are pointers to objects.  You need to extract the date values from the objects and place them into variables of your choosing.  Also, your use a Modal window will not let any processing run, such as the setting of the range of the choices for the dates to choose from.  So I have also removed that restriction.  So if you follow the logic of the script below, you will see how to handle the processing control without using Modal windows.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\Time Series\Raleigh Temps.jmp" );
dt << clear row states;
startNW = New Window( "Start Date of Data",
	StartDate = Calendar Box(),
	Button Box( "OK",
		startNW << close window;
		runEndDate;
	)

);
StartDate << Max Date( Col Max( :name( "Month/Year" ) ) ) << Min Date( Col Min( :Name( "Month/Year" ) ) );

StartDate << Set Function( Function( {this, date}, theStartDate = StartDate << Get Date ) );

runEndDate = Expr(
	endNW = New Window( "End Date of Data",
		EndDate = Calendar Box(),
		Button Box( "OK",
			endNW << close window;
			runSelect;
		)
	);
	endDate << Max Date( Col Max( :name( "Month/Year" ) ) ) << Min Date( Col Min( :Name( "Month/Year" ) ) );
	EndDate << Set Function( Function( {this, date}, theEndDate = endDate << Get Date ) );
);

runSelect = Expr(
	dt << select where( :Name( "Month/Year" ) < theStartDate | :Name( "Month/Year" ) > theEndDate )
);
Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

I am assuming that you are dealing with date data that are JMP date values(numeric values, the number of seconds since Jan 1, 1904).  Given that, there is no need to convert them to some value other than a numeric value.  Therefore the below should work

BegTime = dt<< Subset(All rows, Selected columns only( 0 ) );

BegTime << Select Where(:Date < StartDate |:Date > EndDate)<<Exclude;
Jim
KST-CPT
Level II

Yes, that isn't working. Is it possible that my :Date values are not the same as my JMP calendar box() values?

This is how I cam calculating :Date

dt<< new column ("Date", numeric, continuous, format("m/d/y"), formula(
Date MDY(
Num( Substr( :TimeStamp, 1, 2 ) ),
Num( Substr( :TimeStamp, 4, 2 ) ),
Num( Substr( :TimeStamp, 7, 4 ) ) )
));

:TimeStamp are characters in the format 01:28:2018::02:14:08:099

StartDate and EndDate are from this:

new window("Start Date of Data",<<Modal, StartDate = Calendar Box());
Show( Short Date( StartDate << Get Date ) );
new window("End Date of Data",<<Modal, EndDate = Calendar Box());
Show( Short Date( EndDate << Get Date ) );
KST-CPT
Level II

:Date is definetly a value in seconds from 01JAN1904.  If I remove the "m/d/y" formatting it is a similar number to the CalendarBox() numbers.

I can't even subtract these numbers from each other though.  very confused?

txnelson
Super User

I think your issue is that you are thinking that StartDate and EndDate are numeric dates.  The way you have constructed your code, StartDate and EndDate are pointers to objects.  You need to extract the date values from the objects and place them into variables of your choosing.  Also, your use a Modal window will not let any processing run, such as the setting of the range of the choices for the dates to choose from.  So I have also removed that restriction.  So if you follow the logic of the script below, you will see how to handle the processing control without using Modal windows.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA\Time Series\Raleigh Temps.jmp" );
dt << clear row states;
startNW = New Window( "Start Date of Data",
	StartDate = Calendar Box(),
	Button Box( "OK",
		startNW << close window;
		runEndDate;
	)

);
StartDate << Max Date( Col Max( :name( "Month/Year" ) ) ) << Min Date( Col Min( :Name( "Month/Year" ) ) );

StartDate << Set Function( Function( {this, date}, theStartDate = StartDate << Get Date ) );

runEndDate = Expr(
	endNW = New Window( "End Date of Data",
		EndDate = Calendar Box(),
		Button Box( "OK",
			endNW << close window;
			runSelect;
		)
	);
	endDate << Max Date( Col Max( :name( "Month/Year" ) ) ) << Min Date( Col Min( :Name( "Month/Year" ) ) );
	EndDate << Set Function( Function( {this, date}, theEndDate = endDate << Get Date ) );
);

runSelect = Expr(
	dt << select where( :Name( "Month/Year" ) < theStartDate | :Name( "Month/Year" ) > theEndDate )
);
Jim