cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jmpkat
Level I

Screening designs - How do we know if the effects are not significant or if the whole data is not good (significant variation) without doing replicates?

To show robustness of a chemical process, we often need to show regulators that selected parameters (temp, equivalents, time and reagent ratios) are not impacting the quality (purity) of final product.  In order to show this, regulators prefer performing screening designs.  Usually, we want to show that the parameters do not have detrimental effect within the ranges studied, so that the process is robust.  

My question is if the experimenter performs with utmost precision, and the data shows that none of the factors (or interaction terms) are influencing quality, then that's fine.  If the experimenter collected data that is not good and the model shows that none of the factors are influential, then how to figure out if we can trust the data and the model?  Is there anyway, especially if we don't have replicate runs to see variation? 

I see that Definitive Screening Designs do not necessarily include replicate experiments, then how to know if there is significant variability in the responses?

10 REPLIES 10
jmpkat
Level I

Re: Screening designs - How do we know if the effects are not significant or if the whole data is not good (significant variation) without doing replicates?

Thank you statman, please see my reply to P_Bartell.  

Please see additional details that I provided.