cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
michaelgroom
Level II

Scaling a window to be saved as a PDF?

Hey JMP Community

I am new to JSL, and have been working on a script for the past week or so. The final portion of the script is supposed to take a graph and save it as a PDF. The issue I am having is that I cannot seem to find a way to scale this PDF down to one page.

I can do this manually by clicking "Save As" in the graph window, choosing the PDF file format, and setting the scale to 80%.

Currently, my code looks like this:

KlingonImage << Set Page Setup(
	margins(0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5),
	scale(0.8)
);

KlingonImage << Get Page Setup();

//Save as PDF

KlingonImage << Savepdf(filepath);

Where "KlingonImage" is the name of the window created to display the graph. No matter what I make the scale value, there does not seem to be any change in the resulting PDF file. Is this something that JMP can do? It should be noted that I am using JMP 9.

Thanks,

Michael

4 REPLIES 4
Byron_JMP
Staff

Re: Scaling a window to be saved as a PDF?

M,

How complex/big is the report you're trying to compress?  

Maybe there is something special about v9, I used to do something like this in v7 and it worked fine.

In this example when I put the report pieces together I added a Page Break Box(). When the PDF is created the it generates a page brake, so instead of ending up with poorly clipped report objects, the breaks happen where I want them.

-B

obj = New Window( "KPI Report " || Long Date( Today() ),
	V List Box( "vlb1", Panel Box( "Figure 1", graph1 ), Page Break Box(), Panel Box( "Figure 2", graph2 ) ));

@michaelgroom wrote:

Hey JMP Community

I am new to JSL, and have been working on a script for the past week or so. The final portion of the script is supposed to take a graph and save it as a PDF. The issue I am having is that I cannot seem to find a way to scale this PDF down to one page.

I can do this manually by clicking "Save As" in the graph window, choosing the PDF file format, and setting the scale to 80%.

Currently, my code looks like this:

KlingonImage << Set Page Setup(
	margins(0.5,0.5,0.5,0.5),
	scale(0.8)
);

KlingonImage << Get Page Setup();

//Save as PDF

KlingonImage << Savepdf(filepath);

Where "KlingonImage" is the name of the window created to display the graph. No matter what I make the scale value, there does not seem to be any change in the resulting PDF file. Is this something that JMP can do? It should be noted that I am using JMP 9.

Thanks,

Michael

obj << Set page setup( margins( 1, 1, 1, 1 ), scale( .5 ), portrait( 1 ), paper size( "Letter" ) ); path = Get Default Directory(); //t=Format Date( Today(), "ddmonyyyy" ); obj << save pdf( path || "testPDF.pdf" );

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
michaelgroom
Level II

Hey  Byron

Sorry for the late response. I don't believe this fixes the issue that I am having. I want everything to fit on only one page. The only thing that I want to fit on the page is this element:

KlingonImage=New Window("Klingon Pattern",
	gb=Graph Box(

Frame Size(810,810),
		xaxis(show major ticks(false),show minor ticks(false),show labels(false)),
		yaxis(show major ticks(false),show minor ticks(false),show labels(false)),
		X Scale(0,100),
		Y Scale(0,100),

<< Add Image(
			Open(filepath||fid1),
			Bounds(
				Left(20),
				Right(80),
				Top(100),
				Bottom(0)
			)
		),
		Text Size(11);
		Text Color("black"),
		Text(Center Justified,Boxed,{50,3.9},NFrame), //North Frame

Text(Center Justified,Boxed,{40,96},SETFrame), //Southeast Top Frame

Text(Center Justified,Boxed,{60,96},SWTFrame), //Southwest Top Frame

Text(Center Justified,Boxed,{50,9},NWindow), //North Window

Text(Center Justified,Boxed,{50,81.5},SWindow), //South Window

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{36.5,80},SEWindowOut), //Outer Southeast Window

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{62.5,80},SWWindowOut), //Outer Southwest Window

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{62.5,12},NWWindowOut), //Outer Northwest Window

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{36.5,12},NEWindowOut), //Outer Northeast Window

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{74.3,27},NWFrame), //Northwest Frame	

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{25,27},NEFrame), //Northeast Frame

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{74.3,72},SWFrame), //Southwest Frame

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{25,72},SEFrame), //Southeast Frame

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{42,30},NEWindowIn), //Inner Northeast Window

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{42,63},SEWindowIn), //Inner Southeast Window

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{57.7,30},NWWindowIn), //Inner Northwest Window

Text(Center Justified,Clockwise,Boxed,{57.6,63},SWWindowIn), //Inner Southwest Window

Text(Center Justified,Boxed,{34,45.5},NEGap), //Northeast Gap

Text(Center Justified,Boxed,{34.4,51},SEGap), //Southeast Gap

Text(Center Justified,Boxed,{67,45.5},NWGap), //Northwest Gap

Text(Center Justified,Boxed,{67,51},SWGap), //Southwest Gap

Text Color("Blue"),

Text({74,5},Operator), //Operator

Text({74,1},TestDate); //Date

Text({74,3},NumberSamp); //Number of Samples used in generation

),
	Page Break Box()
);

Which is essentially an image with text boxes superimposed over it. The issue I am having is that I cannot seem to affect the scale of the PDF file. Is the type of window I am trying to scale a data type I cannot manipulate?

Thanks,

Michael

Byron_JMP
Staff

what happens when you add this to the end of your script?

gb << Set page setup( margins( 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5 ), scale( .1 ), portrait( 0 ), paper size( "Letter" ) );
gb << save pdf( "testPDF.pdf" );

I suspect you'll get a pdf (in the directory where the script is saved) that looks like A baseball card on the top left of the page.

note, for the "portrait" argument, 1 is portrait and 0 is landscape. 

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
michaelgroom
Level II

Unfortunately, adding the suggested lines does not change the scale. I am wondering if this is a limitation of JMP 9?

Thanks,

Michael