cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Enthusiastic
Level II

Save Custom JMP Window

I would like to be able to save a custom JMP window which contains analysis of some data such that I, or someone else, can re-open it again.

I've created a custom JMP window with buttons arranged vertically in a column on the left and a tab structure on the right. The tabs of the tab structure are hidden and the buttons are scriptet to select the appropriate tab page. This is because the titles of each tab page would be too long for them all to be easily visible while still making sense. The buttons on the other hand are readily legible.

In each tab page there are three elements: (1) a local data filter which selects the specific subset of data, (2) a Tabulate structure that shows statistical information, and (3) a group of graphs that plot the data versus various different parameters. This is an extremely useful presentation because it allows me to jump quickly between various subsets of the data and easily highlight groups or single points of data of interest. The local data filter, furthermore, allows even deeper analysis.

However, when I want to save it I can save it as a JMP Journal or a JMP report. Neither of these work. In both cases the buttons disappear and the tabs re-appear. The local data filter is there, but the tabulate structure and all the graphs are gone.

Does anyone know how I can save this custom window so it can be re-opened again?

3 REPLIES 3
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Save Custom JMP Window

How did you build the custom window, did you use a jsl script or application builder?  If so you might consider saving that as a new script in your data table.  Users would open the data table and then click on your script.  For example, try opening the big class sample data set and open the JMP Application: Six Quality Graphs script to see what the user would do in this instance.  If you used dashboard builder then you could save the data along with the dashboard.

Enthusiastic
Level II

Hi ih

Thank you for your reply! I created the window using a custom script which references several other scripts.

Your suggestion implies that JMP does not natively have the capability of saving the results of a script. Is that correct? Is JMP only able to save static elements such as images?

I'm new at JMP, as you can probably tell and need to learn how to think with JMP. There may be something obvious to an experienced JMP user that I simply don't understand yet.

Is it normal that an analysis must be re-run each time to see the results?

Currently that is quite possible, but in a short while I would imaging the amount of data in the table would mean re-creating the analysis every time would be a chore.

I'm looking for a solution that maintains the flexibility of the output from my script, but also ensures I do not have to re-create it every time. Are there JMP elements that do this that I'm simply not using yet? It sounds like I might have abused JMP when creating this analysis.

Does dashboard builder allow for local data filters and tabs?

Does my analysis sound like something I could re-create using dashboard builder?

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @Enthusiastic,

Yes it is normal to re-run analyses in JMP each time you open it; typically you would save the script to recreate an analysis and its data.  If you start your script with \\! then it will run automatically when opened, so if a user clicks on that script the first thing they would see is your new window.  For most applications that works very well as the reports can be recreated quickly.  Another option might be to open all of these data sources and the window in a project which would leave everything open for someone else to view. Personally I've found projects to be less intuitive than just sharing a data table with a saved script, and much less intuitive than sharing a script which opens a user interface window.  Yet another option is to package your script in an add-in, allowing a user to click a menu item to open both your window and the associated data.